HBO Max Releases Trailer for Selena Gomez’s Cooking Series “Selena + Chef”

Things are cookin’ up for Selena Gomez

The 28-year-old Mexican American singer/actress is putting her cooking chops to the test in the new HBO Max series Selena + Chef.

Selena Gomez

From perfecting French omelettes to undercooking cheese soufflés, Gomez said working on her culinary skills helped get her out of the quarantine rut.

“I was definitely getting down and a lot is going on,” said Gomez.  “[The show] was an opportunity to make something that could make people smile.”

Gomez says her first unscripted series afforded her the skills and confidence to take on challenging dishes. While some of the show’s featured recipes, including one for a spicy miso ramen, have become staples for the singer, Gomez said there are a few she’ll never tackle again.

“I really, really didn’t like that. It’s a whole process never doing it  again in my life,” Gomez said of a challenging octopus dish featured in the trailer.

The 10-episode series, which begins streaming on HBO Max on August 13, was filmed remotely due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

The Wizards of Waverly Place star, who has been quarantining with friends and family, detailed the “strange” process of shooting the series remotely in her new home.

Crew members, who were regularly tested for the virus, received temperature checks upon arrival and wore face coverings at all times; did not come in contact with Gomez and those who quarantined with the singer. Instead, they operated remote cameras, rigged in the singer’s living room and kitchen, from outside.

“There was no one in my house but here are these cameras everywhere,” the singer said motioning to her ceiling. “That’s so crazy it comes out so well. It comes out like a normal cooking show but also very odd because everyone is outside everywhere.”

Angelo Sosa, Candice Kumai, Daniel Holzman, and Ludo Lefebvre are among the culinary experts who instructed Gomez in the new series.  Additional chefs include Nancy Silverton, Nyesha Arrington, Roy Choy, Jon & Vinny and Tanya Holland.

Selena + Chef  is executive produced by Gomez via her July Moon Productions.

Abel Cedillo Rides Thousand Words to Upset Victory at the Shared Belief Stakes

Abel Cedillo has pulled off a major upset…

The Guatemalan horse rider, last year’s TVG Breakthrough Jockey of the Year, rode Thousand Words to an upset win over favorite Honor A. P. (1-5) by three-quarters of a length in the $100,000 Shared Belief Stakes at Del Mar over the weekend, giving trainer Bob Baffert another candidate for next month’s Kentucky Derby.

Abel Cedillo

Thousand Words ran 1 1/16 miles in 1 minute, 43.85 seconds and paid $20.40 and $3.40 at 9-1 odds.

The colt earned 50 qualifying points for the Derby, which was postponed until Labor Day weekend because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Baffert said Thousand Words has perked up since coming from Los Angeles to the seaside track north of San Diego.

“The real Thousand Words showed up today,” the Hall of Fame trainer said. “His whole mind changed. His color has changed. He had soured out on me, but we got him going the right way. He earned his way to the Derby.”

Thousand Words has four wins in seven career starts.

Cedillo has 1,284 career wins in 8,435 starts with earning of $27,898,415.

Banda MS Kicking Off Series of Private Virtual Concerts This Friday

Banda MS is going virtual…

The Mexican band is set to launch a series of private virtual concerts on Friday, July 31, hosting its first-ever streaming concert since the COVID-19 shutdown.

Banda-MS

In partnership with Cerveza Sol and Los Angeles’ radio station Que Buena, Band MS will perform live from Lizos Music, headquarters in Mazatlán, on July 31 it what the band promises will be the “first of many” private concerts the group will offer virtually in the next few months, according to a press release.

“Banda MS wants to offer fans entertainment while they spend time with their families at home. That’s the objective of the stream,” the regional Mexican band said in a press release. 

The July 31 virtual concert will be available to only 1,000 fans who will be selected at random after entering a drawing on the concert’s official website.

While this is the band’s first streaming concert after the coronavirus pandemic shut down the concert industry mid-March, Banda MS has been active on social media doing live Q&As, including one with Billboard, to discusstheir Snoop Dogg-assisted track “Qué Maldición” released in May and their forthcoming album slated to drop later this year.

Selena Gomez Encourages People to Register to Vote on ‘Register a Friend Day’

Selena Gomez is encouraging people to register to vote…

The 28-year-old Mexican American singer/actress took to social media over the weekend to remind Americans to make sure they’re registered to vote for the November 3 election, which is less than 100 days away.

Selena Gomez

Gomez shared information about how to register to vote as part of Register a Friend Day. Other celebrities who took part in the initiative included Ariana Grande, Lin-Manuel Miranda, former President Barack Obamaand former First Lady Michelle Obama,LL Cool Jand Cher.

President Donald Trump has continued to spread false theories about voting by mail – even though he’s done so himself – leading election experts to worry that a nation gripped by the coronavirus pandemic could face a chaotic election that may put even more Americans’ health at risk with a push for in-person voting in the midst of both a health and financial crisis.

Currently, presumptive Democratic candidate Joe Biden has a commanding 50-36 lead over Trump, whose mishandled response to COVID-19 has put the U.S. atop the list of countries with the most cases and deaths.

Click here for more information on how to register to vote.

Sergio Pettis Defeats Ricky Bandejas in Bellator MMA’s Return After Five Months

Sergio Pettis is proving to be a contender…

The 26-year-old Puerto Rican and Mexican American mixed martial artist, the  younger brother of former UFC champion Anthony Pettis, defeated Ricky Bandejas via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) this weekend in the bantamweight main event of Bellator 242.

Sergio Pettis

Bellator, the second-most prominent MMA promotion in the U.S. after the UFC, hadn’t held an event since February 22 due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

The card took place at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut, overseen by the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation

COVID-19 protocols were implemented, including multiple coronavirus tests and the keeping of fighters, corners and staff within a kind of bubble at the Mohegan Sun resort and casino.

The original Bellator 242 main event was supposed to be a bout for the bantamweight title between Juan Archuleta and Patrick Mix, but Archuleta withdrew. The expectation is that bout will be rebooked for the belt.

During his fight, Pettis put himself in the No. 1 contender conversation. He had an economical performance against Bandejas, outstriking the taller man and piling on the calf kicks through the first two rounds. At one point, Bandejas seemed to lose his footing due to the damage caused by those repeated kicks to the lower part of his left leg.

In the third round, both men opened up. Pettis wasn’t content to cruise to a decision and put forth several flashy techniques, clearly looking for a knockout. Pettis threw spinning kicks, and Bandejas came back with some of his own, including a wheel kick to the head that was just barely blocked by Pettis. Pettis threw another spinning kick with seconds remaining that narrowly missed as well.

Pettis (20-5) has won three straight, including his first two in Bellator. The Milwaukee native left the UFC as a free agent last year with a 9-5 record in the organization, going back and forth between flyweight and bantamweight. Pettis owns a victory over Joseph Benavidez, who just fought for the UFC flyweight title last weekend in Abu Dhabi.

Bandejas (13-4) had a two-fight winning streak snapped. The New Jersey native propelled himself up the Bellator bantamweight ladder in 2018 when he stunningly knocked out Conor McGregor protégé James Gallagher. Bandejas, 28, trains out of the vaunted American Top Team in Florida.

Anuel AA to Perform at This Year’s Virtual ‘Premios Juventud’ Awards Show

Anuel AA isn’t letting the coronavirus pandemic stop him from helping celebrate this year’s biggest Latino talents.  

The 27-year-old Puerto Rican rapper will be performing as part of Univision’s Premios Juventud next month.

Anuel AA

Anuel AA joins a list of performers that includes Rauw Alejandro,Neto BernalCamiloNatti NatashaGloria Trevi, Manuel Turizo and Jay Wheeler.

In addition, Sebastian Yatra and actress and activist Julissa Calderon will join Ana Patricia GámezFrancisca Lachapel, and Borja Voces as the hosts of the three-hour event.

Premios Juventud, which celebrate the hottest artists in Latin music, fashion, television and social media, will be broadcast live from Miami, with Becky G and Ricky Martin being honored as Agents of Change during the telecast

The program will feature artists performing at the venue, a virtual audience, and an innovative integration of the latest state-of-the-art, augmented and virtual reality technologies for award presentations, intros and musical performances. 

The special show will leverage technology and innovation to provide for a safe environment in delivering a live music awards show.

Premios Juventud 2020 will air at 8:00 pm ET on Thursday, August 13 via Univision.

The awards show will be preceded by “PJ Takeover,” a one-hour pre-show hosted by Jomari Goyso and Clarissa Molina and Amara La Negra, beginning at 7:00 pm ET.

Neymar Leads Paris Saint-Germain to Coupe de France Win with Sole Goal Against Saint-Etienne

Neymar’s celebrating a big kick…

The 28-year-old Brazilian professional footballer and Paris Saint-Germain forward kicked a goal early in the game to give his team a 1-0 win over 10-man Saint-Etienne on Friday in a near empty stadium.

Neymar & Paris Saint-Germain

Neymar’s goal gave PSG the Coupe de France as French football came out of a four-month break due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Neymar scored on the rebound in the 14th minute after PSG striker Kylian Mbappe sprinted clear and saw his shot blocked by goalkeeper Jessy Moulin, with only 5,000 fans in the 80,000-seater Stade de France due to strict health protocols.

Earlier, French President Emmanuel Macron had met the players on the pitch but kept his distance and wore a face mask.

The atmosphere in the run-up to the first professional game in France after the long hiatus was far from festive with only a handful of people around the stadium before the match.

The contest got off to an eventful start with Yvann Macon felling Neymar in the opening seconds to earn a yellow card and St Etienne’s Denis Bouanga hitting the post in the fifth minute.

But it was the Parisians who scored when Neymar pounced on Moulin’s save to fire in.

Mbappe was injured in the 26th minute from a rough challengeby Saint-Etienne captain Loic Perrin, who was sent off.

“We won the final and that is what matter(s),” PSG coach Thomas Tuchel said. His team had lost last year’s final to Stade Rennes on penalties.

Tuchel was also not happy with the way Saint-Etienne had played from the start.

“It was complicated with all the fouls to Thilo Kehrer, Neymar and Mbappe. In the last three matches against Saint-Etienne they get a red card in the first 30 minutes. I don’t know what is being said in their dressing room. It is horrible I can’t understand it.

“We won and we have a lot of things to improve, to talk about and analyze.”

With Ligue 1 champions PSG chasing a quadruple of titles 

this season, the few fans in the stands breathed a sigh of relief when Mbappe returned on crutches to the bench after the interval, joking and laughing with his teammates.

Enrique Iglesias & Ricky Martin Reschedule Co-Headlining Tour to 2021

Enrique Iglesias and Ricky Martin’s show will go on…

The 45-year-old Spanish singer and 48-year-old Puerto Rican singer have officially rescheduled their first-ever co-headlining tour through North America to 2021.

Enrique Iglesias & Ricky Martin

In March, Iglesias and Martin announcedplans to go on tour together with Sebastian Yatra as their special guest. The treak was supposed to kick off on September 5 in Phoenix, but as coronavirus cases continue to surge in the U.S., all three took to social media to announce they’d moved the tour dates to 2021.

“It has been way too long and I could not be more thrilled to be getting back on the road and seeing all of you,” Iglesias wrote. With Yatra reposting and adding, “See you guys in 2021.”

Next year, Iglesias and Martin will kick off the tour on September 3 in Phoenix, making stops in Chicago, New York, Miami and Las Vegas, among others. 

Enrique Iglesias & Ricky Martin Tour

Telemundo Renews Kate del Castillo’s “La Reina del Sur” for Third Season

Kate del Castillo’s reign will continue…

Telemundo has renewed La Reina del Sur for a third season with the 47-year-old Mexican actress set to reprise her iconic role as Teresa Mendoza.

Kate del Castillo

“I love playing Teresa Mendoza and am proud of the success of La Reina del Sur, the series that unleashed a new genre in Spanish language television,” del Castillo said. “Each season, Teresa Mendoza’s character evolves and gets more interesting. She is a very human character with her own flaws and imperfections. Over the years, I’ve had a lot of fun playing her, and I’m curious to see what will happen in this new season. She’s a woman I learn from in every season and every episode, who continues to surprise me.”

The first season of the series, based on Arturo Perez-Reverte’s novel, launched in 2011 and returned for a second season in 2019. 

The second season picked up eight years after the events of the season one finale with Mendoza pregnant and unsure of her future. When La Reina returns, it emerged that she’s disappeared into the U.S. Federal Witness Protection Program and is currently living in Italy under the name of Maria Dantes with her daughter Sofia.

Last year, del Castillo said she “hated” the fact that she had to have a double for Mexico-set scenes of the  narco drama after she became a major player in the El Chapo saga, helping to set up a meeting between Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzmán and Sean Penn in 2015.

But she’ll now be able to return to Mexico if the series films there. 

La Reina del Suris a high-level production that has taken us to shoot all over the world season after season. But yes, if the story takes us to Mexico next season, I will be there. I’m so excited,” she added.

Showrunner Marco Santana, who’s also president of Telemundo Global Studios, said that the company was currently in the script and overall development phase of the new season. 

“We are working with an incredible group of writers to bring to life the continuation of a thrilling and involved story that we are all very excited for,” he told Deadline. “We have filmed La Reina del Suraround the world. It’s a story that travels through different locations, and season three won’t be an exception. We are planning for, and are hopeful that, by the time we begin production in 2021, restrictions due to the coronavirus will have eased.”

The third season will start production early next year, as long as production can resume as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The third season will be a co-production between Telemundo Global Studios and Netflix; Telemundo holds rights in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, while the streamer airs the series globally.

La Reina del Suris Telemundo’s most successful ‘Super Series’, used to differentiate it from its traditional long-running telenovelas.

“It is the show that propelled the network to the top of the charts and kicked off Telemundo’s Super Series franchise as the most successful Super Series in the network’s history,” said Ronald Day, EVP, Entertainment, Telemundo Networks. “It was the show that redefined Hispanic media and set a new standard in our content offering. There is a tremendous fan base for the first two seasons and for Teresa Mendoza, the iconic character played by Kate del Castillo, so we knew we had to bring her back.  This is a series that resonates with the new Latino of today who craves for contemporary cutting-edge narratives coupled with strong characters in a premium-level production. The first two seasons were wildly successful on linear and across all platforms, so as we continue to look at all new IP through an omnichannel lens, it made a lot of sense to bring La Reina back.”

“The return of La Reina del Surcomes at a great time when we continue to shape a new era in Hispanic media with content exclusively made for Latinos living in the US looking for culture-centric stories that are both American and Latino,” Day added.

San Antonio Spurs Launch Selena-Inspired Merchandise Collection

Selena’s style is spurringa sporty partnership… 

The San Antonio Spurs have announced a surprise merchandise collection inspired by the late Mexican American Grammy-winning singer and Tejano music legend. 

Selena Quintanilla

Announced over social media, the Selena Capsule Collection comes after the team’s fans weren’t able to celebrate Selena Night with the Spurs due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“Since we couldn’t celebrate Selena Night together, we’re bringing the merchandise collection to you,” tweeted the five-time NBA champions.

Selena x Spurs

The collection, available available now, features shirts, hats, tumblers and other collectible items.

Selena x San Antonio Spurs

“This collection honors and celebrates the legacy of Selena Quintanilla,” the collection’s website reads. “She has and continues to inspire fans across the country to celebrate culture and connections. Her legacy goes hand in hand with the central pillars of the Spurs experience and we are honored to bring this collection to fans of both the Spurs and Selena.”

The team also announced collectible jerseys that fans can buy that features the number 71, a reference to the Selena’s birth year.

https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1284503681312927744

Click here to shop the full collection.