Jorge Linares to Fight Javier Fortuna in August

Jorge Linaresis heading back to the ring this summer…

The 34-year-old Venezuelan professional boxer and three-time world champion will fight Javier Fortuna (35-2-1, 24 KOs) on August 28 at the Fantasy Springs Resort and Casinoin Indio, California.

Jorge Linares

After Linares (47-5, 29 KOs) dispatched Carlos Morales in four rounds on February 14, a showdown with the undefeated Ryan Garcia was heavily rumored for the summer. That fight never materialized, and Linares and his representatives shifted their focus to another fight.

“We wanted that fight [with Garcia], Jorge wanted that fight more than anybody,” said Jose de la Cruz, who manages Linares. “I guess their camp is not being reasonable with Golden Boy.”

In regard to the potential July 4 fight, Garcia representative Lupe Valencia said, “What they offered Ryan was not acceptable. We can’t just accept it if we know it’s not reasonable.”

Eric Gomez, the president of Golden Boy Promotions, told ESPN, “Fortuna was willing to fight pretty much anybody, he was available. So we made the offer to Linares, and he took it right away.”

Gomez said there is a chance that this bout could be contested for the WBC interim lightweight title.

“It was a no-brainer,” said de la Cruz. “I think it’s the right time for Jorge to fight for a world title, and to stay active, number one. He’ll be 35 by the time he fights. How many fights does he have left? We all want to know.”

Linares, who is ESPN’s No. 6 lightweight, has had a memorable career, filled with substantial victories and mind-boggling defeats. 

He’s captured world titles at 126, 130 and 135, but never had a long title run with any of those belts. Linares has victories over the likes of Oscar LariosKevin MitchellAnthony Crolla and Luke Campbell, and gave Vasiliy Lomachenko his toughest test to date as a professional. 

But Linares has also been knocked out in all five of his losses, the latest of which was when he was stopped in the first round by Pablo Cesar Cano in an ill-fated experiment at 140 at the beginning of 2019.

The 31-year-old Fortuna, who is ESPN’s No. 8 lightweight, once held the WBA 130-pound title and had a strong showing as he knocked out a faded Jesus Cuellar in two rounds last November. 

Fortuna, a southpaw from the Dominican Republic presents a formidable challenge for Linares with his above-average power. Should Linares overcome the challenge of Fortuna, he’ll be in line for even bigger fights.

“There’s [DevinHaney,” said De La Cruz, mentioning the current WBC lightweight titleholder as one option. ”If Golden Boy can make the Ryan Garcia fight, if the virus doesn’t affect us late in the year, everything goes well, we want a championship fight or a big fight at the Staples Center. That’s what Golden Boy wants.”

The August 28 Golden Boy card is scheduled to be the promotion’s second of the summer, following a July 24 show headlined by Vergil Ortiz and Samuel Vargas.

Vergil Ortiz Officially Set to Fight Samuel Vargas in Golden Boy’s First Post-Coronavirus Fight Card

Vergil Ortiz is officially ready to rumble…

As previously expected, the 22-year-old highly regarded Mexican American welterweight will face veteran Samuel Vargas on July 24 in Golden Boy‘s first fight card since the coronavirus pandemic put a halt to boxing events across the world in mid-March.

Vergil Ortiz Jr.

The card will take place at the Fantasy Springs Casino Resortin Indio, California.

“We’re just excited, happy to be back with our fighters,” said Eric Gomez, president of Golden Boy Promotions

“Especially a guy like Vergil who was scheduled to fight before the shutdown. He was 10 days out from fighting, so I’m just happy he gets to fight again, and we’re back at it.”

For the time being, Golden Boy’s cards in California will be held without an audience.

Ortiz (15-0, 15 KOs) is considered one of boxing’s best young fighters. The Grand Prairie, Texas native has stopped everyone he has faced thus far as a professional. In 2019, Ortiz stopped Mauricio Herrera in three rounds, and then Antonio Orozco in six.

Ortiz and Vargas were originally scheduled to clash on March 28 at The Forumin Inglewood, California, before that card was canceled.

“I’m very thankful and excited to be headlining the first Golden Boy event after the quarantine,” said Ortiz, who has been training with Robert Garcia in Riverside for the past few weeks. “I’m happy that it’s still with the same opponent, so basically we’re picking up where we left off. It’s going to be a tough fight, and it’ll be a great way to kick off the year for me.”

Ortiz is facing a seasoned veteran in Vargas (31-5-2, 14 KOs), who has faced Amir KhanLuis CollazoDanny Garcia and Errol Spence over the course of his career.

“I think that everything happens for a reason,” said Vargas, who has been in Las Vegas in recent weeks, preparing for this bout. “I think this time off benefited me. I’m ready to upset the world. I believe I can come out with the win. The world is a weird place right now. The show will be different. There will be no fans, but I have no doubt I’m going to win.”

As Golden Boy officials began to put this card together, they found a rather limited pool of options to draw from, in terms of selecting boxers.

“There’s a lot of guys that just weren’t ready,” Gomez said. “They hadn’t been to the gym because [gyms] were closed, they didn’t train, do road work, sparring or anything. Now it’s a little better, but we’re not in the clear yet.”

The co-feature scheduled for July 24 is a 10-round lightweight contest between Hector Tanajara (19-0, 5 KOs) and Mercito Gesta (32-3-3, 17 KOs). Other fights include an eight-round middleweight bout between Shane Mosley Jr. (15-3, 9 KOs) and Jeremy Ramos (11-8, 2 KOs), a women’s junior flyweight fight between Seniesa Estrada (18-0, 7 KOs) and Jacky Calvo(12-5-2, 1 KO), and a clash between prospects Hector Valdez and Evan Sanchez.

There’s no indication when spectators will be allowed back into any sporting events, and from Golden Boy’s perspective, the hope at this point is just to try to get the first few cards off the ground smoothly.

“It’s hard to say. It’s scary. You’ve seen the numbers, they’ve been rising again,” Gomez said. “There have been surges in Florida, here in California. I don’t know what the governor is going to decide. I just hope we don’t get shut down again.”

Alejandro Cast as Series Regular on Fox’s Comic Book Drama “Lucifer”

Kevin Alejandro has earned a devilish role…

The 39-year-old Mexican American actor has been cast as a series regular on Fox’s comic book midseason drama Lucifer.

Kevin Alejandro

Alejandro, who appeared on True Blood and Arrow, replaces Nicholas Gonzalez who played the role in the pilot, written by Tom Kapinos and directed by Len Wiseman.

Based on the characters from the DC Entertainment’s Vertigo, the series, from Warner Bros. Television and Jerry Bruckheimer Television, centers on Lucifer (Tom Ellis) who, bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell, resigns his throne and abandons his kingdom for the gorgeous, shimmering insanity of Los Angeles, where he gets his kicks helping the LAPD punish criminals.

Alejandro will play Dan, a gruff LAPD homicide detective who is wary of Lucifer’s involvement with his wife and daughter.

Alejandro just recently became available, coming off the A&E drama The Returned. He previously was a regular on Southland and Golden Boy.

Navedo to Star in the CW’s Pilot “Jane the Virgin”

Andrea Navedo has landed the mother of a role…

The Latina actress, who rose to acclaim on the soap operas One Life to Live and Guiding Light, has joined the cast of the CW’s pilot Jane the Virgin, starring Gina Rodriguez and Jaime Camil.

Andrea Navedo

Based on the successful Venezuelan telenovela Juana la Virgen, the project centers on Jane (Rodriguez), a hardworking religious girl who, due to a series of outrageous events, is accidentally artificially inseminated.

Navedo will portray Xiomara, Jane’s mother, who is fiercely devoted to her daughter.

Navedo’s previous television credits include Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Golden Boy, White Collar and How to Make It in America.

She most recently appeared in indie film Last I Heard and will next appear in the feature Superfast.

Alejandro to Co-Star in the ABC Drama Pilot “Clementine”

Kevin Alejandro has landed a clemendous new role…

The 37-year-old Mexican-American actor has landed a plum role on ABC’s drama pilot Clementine.

Kevin Alejandro

From the Mark Gordon Co. and ABC Studios, the project centers on troubled 28-year-old psychic Clementine Ross (portrayed by Sarah Snook) who sees her life begin to change in unexpected ways when she decides to stop running from her past.

Alejandro will co-star as Charlie Madsen, Clementine’s ex-boyfriend and the father of her young daughter, Lucy. He’s described as a former bad-boy who has transformed into a responsible man after realizing he has to raise Lucy on his own due to Clementine’s personal struggles.

Most recently, Alejandro has been appearing in a recurring role on the CW’s Arrow. He previously co-starred on CBS’ short-lived series Golden Boy.

His other television credits include roles on Southland, True Blood, Weeds, Drop Dead Diva and Sons of Anarchy.

Alejandro Lands Guest-Starring Role on the CW’s “Arrow”

Kevin Alejandro is taking an arrow

The 37-year-old Mexican American actor has signed on to guest star on the CW’s superhero series Arrow.

Kevin Alejandro

Alejandro will appear as Sebastian Blood in upcoming episodes of the acclaimed action drama’s second season, with the exact airdates to be announced in the near future.

Drawing inspiration from the iconic New Teen Titans nemesis Brother Blood, Sebastian is an alderman who rises to power in the wake of the earthquake that devastated Starling City in Arrow’s first-season finale. Blood’s “man-of-the-people” popularity instantly places him at odds with Oliver Queen (series star Stephen Amell), whose family he blames for the quake.

Alejandro’s television credits include roles on Ugly Betty, Southland, True Blood and Golden Boy.

Season two of Arrow is set to premiere on October 9.

Based upon characters published by DC Comics, Arrow is executive produced by Greg Berlanti.

Annable Cast Opposite Jennifer Beals in ABC’s “Venice”

Odette Annable is about to experience forbidden love…

The 27-year-old half-Cuban American actress has landed a role in ABC’s drama pilot Venice, which stars Jennifer Beals.

Odette Annable

The Romeo & Juliet-inspired project, which was written by Byron Balasco, is a soap about the haves and the have-nots in California’s most enchanting beach city, Venice.

Directed by McG, Venice focuses on two rival families, the Nances and the Carvers, and a forbidden and dangerous romance that emerges between the two as the families battle for control of Venice.

Annable, who currently appears in a recurring role on CBSGolden Boy and guest-starred on Cinemax’s new series Banshee, will portray Sophie Nance, the owner of the hippest boutique in Venice, who falls in love with the offspring of her family’s archenemies, Chris Carver.

Annable, who co-starred on the final season of Fox’s House, has appeared on Brothers & Sisters, October Road and Breaking In.  

CBS Posts First Episode of Alejandro’s “Golden Boy” Online

If you’re anxious to catch a glimpse of Kevin Alejandro in CBS’ midseason series Golden Boy, you’re in luck.

Even though the cop drama doesn’t premiere until February 26, the network has posted the entire first episode of the cop drama online on the CBS website

Golden Boy

Golden Boy chronicles one man’s meteoric rise from police officer to detective and eventually police commissioner.  Alejandro, who most recently starred on HBO’s True Blood, will play the top detective in the squad who—disturbed by the new man’s arrival—plots to derail his career.

In addition to the 36-year-old Mexican American actor and former Southland star, Golden Boy will feature Odette Annable in a recurring role. The 27-year-old half-Cuban American actress will portray a young, attractive assistant district attorney with a complicated marital history who prosecutes cases brought by the squad.

Golden Boy officially premieres on Tuesday, February 26 at 10:00 pm EST. It’s scheduled to move to Fridays at 9:00 pm EST once CSI:NY ends its season.

Annable to Guest Star on Fox’s “New Girl”

Odette Annable may be bringing the drama to Fox’s New Girl

The 27-year-old half-Cuban American actress has landed a guest-starring role on Zooey Deschanel’s hit sitcom.

Odette Annable

Annable will play a potentially recurring love interest for Nick (Jake Johnson), according to TVLine, which could throw a wrench in the blossoming love between Nick and Jess (Deschanel).

Annable will play Shane, a perky and preppy management school grad who is Nick’s new boss at the bar. Per the casting notice for the role, Shane “unabashedly” starts having a fling with her new subordinate.

Annable’s casting comes less than a week after Nick and Jess shared their first kiss.

Annable, whose credits also include Breaking In and Brothers & Sisters, will soon kick off a multi-episode arc in Cinemax’s new drama Banshee. She’s also set to appear in CBS’ new series Golden Boy later this year, as well begin shooting the film The Truth About Lies.

Annable to Appear on CBS’ “Golden Boy”

Odette Annable is wasting no time lining up work after Fox pulled the plug on her last television project, House

On the heels of her casting for a multi-episode arc on Cinemax’s new drama Banshee, the 27-year-old half-Cuban American actress has signed on for a recurring role on CBS’ midseason series Golden Boy.

Odette Annable

The new drama centers on the meteoric rise of a cop (Theo James) from his days as an officer to detective to police commissioner.

Annable will play Kat O’Connor, a young, attractive assistant district attorney with a complicated marital history who prosecutes cases brought by the squad.

This marks the second straight year that Annable will have to juggle two series simultaneously, after working on House and Breaking In last season.