The story behind King Juan Carlos I’s relinquishment of his crown is headed to the small story…
XRey, a Spotify podcast from The Story Lab on the abdication of the 82-year-old former Spanish king, is being adapted for television by the producer of Netflix original Hache.
The Story Lab is working with Weekend Studio on the adaptation after XReyhas been among Spotify’s top three podcasts in Spain since premiering on May 19.
King Juan Carlos I abdicated in 2014 in sudden and unexplained circumstances and the 10-part XRey podcastfeatures testimony from prime ministers, leading historians and investigative journalists. It’s produced by Toni Garrido.
Michael Iskas, global president of The Story Lab, said: “Toni and his team at The Story Lab Spain have brought the XReystory to life in a brilliantly creative way to deliver a breakout hit on Spotify that has the pace of a political thriller.”
Weekend Studio president Tomás Cimadevilla added: “XReyhas a potent mix of intrigue, royalty and international power play. This fascinating story, which is captivating listeners on Spotify, is ideal for adaptation as a major TV drama.”
Nacho Vigalondo is neighboring his way onto a new Netflixproject…
The 41-year-old Spanish filmmaker will direct the Spanish superhero comedy series El Vecino, based on the graphic novels by Santiago Garcia and Pepo Perez.
It’s one of five new projects announced by Netflix, as the company continues its investment in Spanish originals.
The five new projects which will launch on the service worldwide in 2020.
Elite‘s co-creator, Carlos Montero, has a new project in the works for Netflix. El Desorden Que Dejasis a psychological drama based on Montero’s own award-winning novel.
There are two female-centered series to come including dramedy Valeria based on the novels by Elísabet Benavent, and Días De Navidad starring Fortitude‘s Verónica Echegui, Las Chicas Del Cable‘s Anna Molinerand High Heels‘ Victoria Abril.
The fifth project is an anime adaptation of the best-selling novel Memorias De Idhun by Laura Gallego and produced by Endemol Shine’s Zeppelin.
Netflix’s Vice President Original Series, Francisco Ramos, noted the “meaningful investment in the Spanish market” via the new projects and said the plan is to continue not only with series, but also movies, documentaries and unscripted.
In addition, Netflix is also in production on new seasons for hits La Casa De Papel, Las Chicas Del Cable and Elite as well as new shows Hache, Alta Marand Criminal.
Here’s a closer look at the new Spanish originals:
– El Vecino: Javier’s life is not going well. The last thing he needs is for an alien to land on him and transfer its powers before dying. Now Javier is a superhero, but it turns out super powers are useless when you get fired from your job or your girlfriend decides she wants to take a break. Fortunately, Javier’s friend and neighbor José will teach him to use his powers for good and hide his secret identity, especially from his girlfriend who’s now investigating Titan, the mysterious superhero.
Director: Nacho Vigalondo; Showrunners: Carlos de Pando, Sara Antuña; Writers: Miguel Esteban and Raúl Navarro; Executive producers: Nahikari Ipiña, Eneko Gutiérrez; Production company: Zeta Audiovisual; Main cast: Quim Gutiérrez, Clara Lago, Catalina Sopelana and Adrián Pino
– El Desorden Que Dejas: Aiming to give her marriage a second chance, young literature teacher Raquel accepts a position in the town where her husband grew up. She soon learns that another teacher committed suicide, possibly bullied by her very own students, and begins a quest to find the truth in a place where everybody seems to have secrets.
Writer/Creator: Carlos Montero, based on his novel published by Planeta
– Días de Navidad: Showcases the Christmas celebration of four sisters in their family home through three different time periods, which are also three key moments in their lives. Family dynamics, secrets and personal confrontations will be seen from different perspectives through the lens of time.
Creator/Director: Pau Freixas; Writers: Pau Freixas, Clara Esparrach; Production company: Filmax (Arca Audiovisual); Main cast: Verónica Echegui, Anna Moliner, Nerea Barros, Victoria Abril, Verónica Forqué, Charo López, Ángela Molina and Elena Anaya
– Valeria: Valeria is a writer in crisis, both with her novels and her emotionally distant husband. But she finds solace in her three best friends who support her through her journey.
Writers: María López Castaño, Aurora Gracià, Almudena Ocaña, Fernanda Eguiarte; Creator: María López Castaño based on the novels by Elísabet Benavent; Creative consultant: Elísabet Benavent; Production company: Plano a Plano
– Memorias De Idhún: On the day of the astral conjunction of three suns and moons in Idhun, Ashran the Necromancer gathered all the power and began the kingdom of terror of the winged snakes. On Earth, Jack and Victoria fight a battle for Idhun’s freedom. But the heroes still don’t know the design of a prophecy that will intertwine their fates.
Director: Maite Ruiz de Austri; Executive producers: Pilar Blasco, Alexis Barroso; Writers: Laura Gallego, Andrés Carrión; Production company: Zeppelin