Diego Luna to Star in Disney+’s New “Star Wars” Series “Andor”

Diego Luna is heading back to the Force…

Pivoting off 2016’s Rogue One: A Star Wars story, the 40-year-old actor is returning to the Star Wars franchise with the new series Andor.

Diego Luna

With Tony Gilroy running the show, the 12-episode series will debut in 2022, Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy has revealed.

Having launched production just a few weeks ago in the United Kingdom on the Fiona Shaw co-starrer, Andor offered a sneak peek at this latest expansion of the tales from a galaxy far far away:

Luna originally starred as Cassian Andor in Rogue One back in 2016.

Disney+ Announces “The Mandalorian” Spinoff Series “Ahsoka Tano,” Starring Rosario Dawson

Rosario Dawson is extending her Star Wars run…

The Mandalorian spinoff series Ahsoka Tano is in the works from Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni, based on the famed Clone Wars cartoon character brought to life by the 41-year-old Puerto Rican and Cuban American actress this past season on the second season of the Disney+ series.

Ahsoka Tano x Rosario Dawson

Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy announced the spinoff news during Disney Investor Day.

No footage was shared for the series from Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni, but the show’s official logo was revealed.

The series, starring Dawson, is set within the timeline of The Mandalorian.

As for what Ahsoka Tano’s arc may be in the series, that remains to be seen. When she made her debut on The Mandalorian, she told Din Djarin she would not train Grogu in the ways of a Jedi.

Ahsoka’s timeline in the post-Return of the Jedi era is unknown, so this series will presumably fill out those details and potentially give Star Wars new territory to play with during the time between and during the events of the new trilogy movies.

Disney+ Releases Sneak Peek at Season Two of Pedro Pascal’s “The Mandalorian”

Pedro Pascal is ready to blast off…

Disney+ offered a special sneak peek at season two of The Mandalorian, starring the 45-year-old Chilean actor as the title character, during ESPN’s Monday Night Football.

Pedro Pascal as The Mandalorian

The spot, which aired during halftime of the game between the Arizona Cardinals and the Dallas Cowboys, reveals a bit more detail of the plot for the new season, with The Mandalorian (Pascal) now seemingly on a mission to return The Child (aka Baby Yoda) “to his kind” while also searching out other Mandalorians who can help him.

“Wherever I go, he goes,” Mando says about his charge.

The upcoming season follows the successful Season 1 of the first live-action Star Wars spinoff series, which scored 15 Emmy nominations including for Outstanding Drama Series, and won seven. Shooting had already wrapped on the second season before the coronavirus-related production shutdown in mid-March. Work is already underway on Season 3.

The new season of the Lucasfilm-produced returns Pascal as The Mandalorian, aka Din Djarin, and The Child who continue to attempt to evade ruthless Imperial Remnant officer Moff Gideon (Giancarlo Esposito). Gina Carano and Carl Weathers also return from Season 1, with cast newcomers including Rosario Dawson (reportedly as Ahsoka Tano), Temuera Morrison as Boba Fett, Katee Sackhoff, Michael Biehn and Timothy Olyphant among others.

Directors for the new season include Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Bryce Dallas Howard, Rick Famuyiwa, Weathers, Peyton Reed and Robert Rodriguez.

Season 2 of the series will debut on Disney’s streaming platform next Friday, October 30.

Lin-Manuel Miranda Makes Cameo Appearance in & Composes Song for “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”

Lin-Manuel Mirandais having an out of this world experience…

The 39-year-old Puerto Rican actor, lyricist, singer, actor and playwright is officially part of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which was officially released on Friday.

Lin-Manuel Miranda 

Miranda makes a small cameo appearance as a Resistance fighter in the popular Lucasfilmfranchise, according to a still from Entertainment Weekly

But that’s not all… The Tony Award-winning composer also composed a secret song in the film with producer J.J. Abrams.

“It’s got a nice beat & you can dance to it,” says Miranda of the track. 

Miranda previously composed “Jabba Flow” for Abrams’ last Star Wars installment, Episode VII – The Force Awakens from 2015.

Gonzalez Inarritu Developing Virtual Reality Short About Immigrants Crossing the U.S./Mexico Border

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu is planning to shed some light on immigrant experience…

The two-time Mexican Oscar-winning director is working on a virtual reality short, one that he’s been developing for four years.

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu

The short is being produced and financed by Legendary Entertainment and Fondazione Prada, which announced it. ILMxLAB, Lucasfilm’s recently established Immersive Entertainment division, will build the virtual world and characters.

Gonzalez Inarritu will work once again with Oscar-winning cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki in what is described as an experiment for their first time within a space narrative in this new visual medium.

The immersive virtual reality piece will explore the intense and excruciating experience of a group of immigrants and refugees crossing the border between Mexico and the U.S.

The companies haven’t disclosed their plans for releasing the project.

Disney XD Renews Prinze Jr.’s Lucasfilm-Produced Animated Series “Star Wars Rebels”

Freddie Prinze Jr. is releasing a Rebels yell…

Disney XD has renewed Star Wars Rebels, which features the 39-year-old part-Puerto Rican actor as part of the voice cast, for Season 3, with production already underway and a plan to air new episodes of the Lucasfilm-produced animated series in 2016.

Freddie Prinze Jr.

The series, which follows a ragtag group of heroes that dare to strike back against Imperial forces, is an original tale based on the Star Wars films that in its first two seasons has incorporated classic characters from the movies while introducing new heroes and villains.

Coincidentally, the rebooted feature film franchise Star Wars: The Force Awakens hits theaters December 18.

The renewal news was announced this morning on Star Wars mothership StarWars.com.

“We’re very proud of our incredibly creative Rebels team,” Lucasfilm SVP Development Kiri Hart said in the announcement. “The show continues to tell fun, heartfelt, exciting new Star Wars stories week after week, and it’s beloved by fans of all ages. Season 3 will see our rebel heroes face new obstacles and find new allies in their fight against the Empire.”

Star Wars Rebels ranks as Disney XD’s No. 2 series in total viewers (1.3 million), kids 6-11, boys 6-11 and boys 2-11, and is the channel’s No. 1 program in adults 18-49 and men 18-49.

Star Wars Rebels is created by Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Simon Kinberg and Carrie Beck.

The Season 2 voice cast includes Prinze Jr., Vanessa Marshall, Steve Blum, Tiya Sircar, Taylor Gray, Ashley Eckstein, Dee Bradley Baker, David Oyelowo and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Del Toro to Portray Villain in “Star Wars: Episode VIII”

May the force be with Benicio Del Toro

The 48-year-old Puerto Rican actor has been in talks with Lucasfilm and has now been offered a role in Star Wars: Episode VIII as a new villain, according to Deadline.

Benicio del Toro

No details were released regarding the nature of the role, but other name actors are said to have also been considered.

Could this suggest possible spoilers for Star Wars: The Force Awakens? That film has three confirmed villains: Domhnall Gleeson’s General Hux, Gwendolyn Christie’s Captain Phasma, and Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren. That’s a fairly packed slate of heavyweights. The Del Toro casting news makes one wonder if one of that trio doesn’t make it to the end of the movie.

Directed by Looper and Brick helmer Rian Johnson, the still-untitled eighth installment of the new Star Wars trilogy is set for release May 26, 2017.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens hits theaters December 18.

Del Toro’s next film is Sicario for Lionsgate.

Isaac to Star in the J.J. Abrams-Helmed “Star Wars: Episode VII”

May the force be with Oscar Isaac

The 35-year-old Guatemalan/Cuban actor is among the stars joining the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Oscar Isaac

Though casting rumors have been circulating for months about the upcoming prequel from filmmaker J.J. Abrams, an official cast announcement was made Tuesday on the movie’s official website by Disney and Lucasfilm.

Other newcomers to the Star Wars franchise include John Boyega, Adam Driver, Andy Serkis, Daisy Ridley and Max von Sydow.

Original stars returning for the film include Harrison FordCarrie FisherMark HamillAnthony Daniels, Kenny Baker and Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca.

“We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII,” Abrams said in a statement. “It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud.”

Disney and Lucasfilm did not reveal who the newcomers will be portraying in the film, but Driver and Boyega are reportedly playing the film’s villain, who will be in the vein of Darth Vader, and the lead, respectively.

Episode VII will take place 30 years after Return of the Jedi.

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to open in theaters on December 18, 2015.