It looks like Jorge Masvidal could be getting the chance for a repeat…
The UFC is eyeing a welterweight rematch between the 35-year-old Cuban and Peruvian American mixed martial artist and Nate Diaz, according to UFC president Dana White.
Bout agreements haven’t been signed, but both sides are reportedly interested in the rematch.
The UFC is looking to book the rematch as the next bout for both Masvidal and Diaz, but a date hasn’t been set. TMZ has reported that the fight is targeted for UFC 256 on December 12. But sources tell ESPN the fight could also take place in January.
Masvidal and Diaz squared off last November in the main event of UFC 244 at Madison Square Garden for the inaugural BMF Championship. Masvidal (35-14) defeated Diaz via TKO when ringside physicians stopped the bout after the third round due to a facial cut. Diaz protested the stoppage.
Diaz (20-12) has not fought since the loss to Masvidal. The 35-year-old Mexican American welterweight fought twice in 2019 after a three-year layoff. He defeated Anthony Pettisin August of 2019 before losing to Masvidal in November.
The 22-year-old Puerto Rican hard-hitting super middleweight boxer will be featured on the undercard of featherweight world titlist Shakur Stevenson‘s first defense, on March 14 at the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York, according to Top Rank.
Top Rank said Berlanga’s opponent for the scheduled eight-round bout will be finalized next week, but the fight will be one of the preliminary bouts that’ll be streamed live on ESPN+beginning at 7:00 pm ET, ahead of the main card on ESPN at 10:30 p.m. The main card includes the previously announced meeting between Stevenson and challenger Miguel Marriagaand former junior featherweight world titlist Jessie Magdalenosquaring off with Sakaria Lukasin a 10-round featherweight fight.
Berlanga (13-0, 13 KOs), who hails from New York, has won all of his fights by first-round knockout.
“Hopefully, I can get in some rounds on March 14,” said Berlanga, who turned pro in 2016. “I want to show everyone I’m more than a one-round fighter. This is my time to shine.”
Berlanga’s longest ring appearance came in his most recent fight, when he needed 2 minutes, 45 seconds to knock out Cesar Nunezon December 14 at Madison Square Gardenon the Terence Crawford–Egidijus Kavaliauskasundercard.
Camila Cabello is spreading a little more romance across the pond…
The 22-year-old Mexican & Cuban singer has revealed a series of new European dates next June as part of her world tour in support of her upcoming album, Romance, due out on December 6.
Cabello’s biggest dates so far in England will kick off on June 1 at the Resorts World Arena in Birmingham and include dates in Manchester, Leeds, Dublin, Glasgow and London.
Cabello previously announced the kick-off of her Romance global outing, which includes a show at Dickies Arena in Fort Worth, Texas, on December 3, as well as a gig at The Forum in Los Angeles on December 6, the B96 Jingle Bash in Rosemont, Illinois, on December 7, a stop at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minnesota on December 9 and a December 13 show at Madison Square Garden in New York.
So far, the full Romance tour is slated to kick off on May 26 in Oslo, Norway and launch in North America on July 29 in Vancouver.
Cabello has previewed the album with the recently released song “Living Proof,” the chart-topping Shawn Mendes collaboration “Señorita,” as well as the singles “Shameless,” “Easy,” “Cry For Me” and “Liar.”
Here’s a look at Cabello’s UK and European dates below.
May 26 – Oslo, Norway @ Spektrum May 28 – Copenhagen, Denmark @ Royal Arena May 30 – Berlin, Germany @ Mercedes Benz Arena June 1 – Birmingham, UK @ Resorts World Arena June 2 – Leeds, UK @ First Direct Arena June 4 – Manchester, UK @ Manchester Arena June 8 – Dublin, IR @ 3Arena June 9 – Glasgow, UK @ The SSE Hydro June 11– London, UK @ The O2 June 14 – Antwerp, Belgium @ Sportpaleis June 15 – Amsterdam, Holland @ Ziggo Dome June 17 – Paris, France @ Accorhotels Arena June 18 – Cologne, Germany @ Laxness Arena June 23 – Zurich, Switzerland @ Hallenstadion June 24 – Milan, Italy @ Forum June 30 – Barcelona, Spain @ Palau Sant Jordi July 1 – Madrid, Spain @ Wizink Center
The 37-year-old Mexican American mixed martial artist and wrestler isofficially stepping out of the Octagon and into the pro-wrestling ring for the foreseeable future.
Velasquez, a two-time UFC heavyweight champion, is in advanced talks to sign with WWE.
He made a surprise appearance on Friday on WWE SmackDown‘s Fox premiere at Staples Center, confronting Brock Lesnarin the closing moments of the show. Velasquez said he was not officially retired from the UFC, but pro wrestling is likely to be his focus right now.
Velasquez said no deal has been signed, and he also has been in discussions with other wrestling promotions, including upstart All Elite Wrestling (AEW) and New Japan Pro-Wrestling.
WWE could look to set up a blockbuster match between Velasquez and Lesnar, also a former UFC heavyweight champion.
Velasquez knocked out Lesnar to win the UFC belt in 2010. Coincidentally, Velasquez headlined the UFC’s first show on Fox in 2011, and Friday he was a major part of WWE’s Fox premiere, walking to the ring with Rey Mysterio and hitting Lesnar with a double-leg takedown.
Velasquez debuted in pro wrestling in August with Mexico’s Lucha Libre AAA. Velasquez is a celebrity in Mexico due to his UFC success and how he has marketed himself in the country. The 6-foot-2, 250-pound California native impressed at AAA’s Triplemaniashow in front of 18,000 at Mexico City Arena, pulling off athletic moves that were unexpected for a man his size.
Last month, Velasquez had a second match for AAA at Madison Square Garden‘s Hulu Theatre and his ability once again turned heads. The MMA star has been training full time in pro wrestling only since June, at Pro Wrestling Revolution in San Jose, California.
Velasquez has been doing it all with multiple torn ligaments in his left knee, an injury he suffered in a knockout loss to Francis Ngannouat UFC Phoenix in February.
Velasquez (14-3) is one of the most accomplished fighters in UFC history. He won the UFC heavyweight belt in 2010, and then again in 2012. Velasquez owns victories over the likes of Junior Dos Santos(twice), Antonio Rodrigo Nogueiraand Lesnar. Injuries to his knees, back and shoulders marred his run atop the division. Velasquez has fought just three times since 2013. He dropped the heavyweight title to Fabricio Werdumin 2015 and rebounded to beat Travis Browneat UFC 200 in 2016.
In 2018, Velasquez trained at WWE’s Performance Centerto see if he could physically work a match in the ring. He drew rave reviews from coaches there, but things didn’t work out at that time with WWE as far as a contract, and he ended up signing a short-term deal with AAA.
After his two appearances for AAA in August and September, Velasquez saw the interest in him increase. WWE came back to the table.
“We’ve talked a little bit back and forth and nothing happened,” Velasquez said. “They wanted to see my development. I think they’re pleased with what I’m doing now.”
Velasquez’s interest in pro wrestling comes at a particularly busy moment in pro wrestling history. The emergence of AEW, owned by the Khan family, which also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham FC, is the first major effort to enter a space dominated by WWE for 20 years. Additionally, WWE signed TV contracts valued at over $1 billion to bring SmackDown to Fox and extend Monday Night Raw on the USA Network.
Velasquez would join the likes of Lesnar and Ronda Rouseyas former UFC champions in WWE. WWE also has UFC veterans Matt Riddleand Shayna Baszlerunder contract.
“This is definitely my focus,” Velasquez said of pro wrestling. “My family is into it, they love it. They’re super excited. I haven’t seen them excited over something like this in a while. It’s cool.”
Mariah Careyis proving to be the Queen of Christmas…
The 50-year-old half-Venezuelan American songstress and “All I Want for Christmas is You” singer has announced a holiday tour in the form of a limited engagement trek in five cities to celebrate the 25th anniversary of her iconic album Merry Christmas.
Carey’s festive tour will begin in November with a five-show holiday residency at Caesars Palacein Las Vegas, which was announced earlier this year. The new batch of dates includes five more shows in December, beginning in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on December 7, with the grand finale at New York’s Madison Square Gardenon December 15.
The All I Want For Christmas Is You Tour will feature tunes from Carey’s Merry Christmas as well as her biggest non-holiday hits.
Tickets for the All I Want For Christmas Is You Tour dates will go on sale October 4 at 10:00 am. local time. Those who pre-order the deluxe editionof Merry Christmas will have access to a pre-sale beginning October 1 at 11:00 am local time, and Mariah Carey fan club members will also be able to purchase tickets on October 1 at 10:00 a.m. local time.
Additionally, Citi cardmembers will have access to a presale beginning October 2 at 10:00 am local time. All presales will end on October 3 at 10:00 pm local time. (Tickets for her Las Vegas Christmas residency and 2020 shows are already available.)
Carey is spreading the holiday cheer even further with her Christmas tour, as $1 from each ticket sold will benefit Toys for Tots. The superstar also encourages fans to bring unwrapped toys to donate at each tour stop.
Here’s full list of Mariah Carey’s tour dates, including both her holiday shows and 2020 Las Vegas residency:
Mariah Carey All I Want For Christmas Is You presented by Hallmark Channel Tour Dates
Nov 22 — Las Vegas, NV @ The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Nov 23 — Las Vegas, NV @ The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Nov 27 — Las Vegas, NV @ The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Nov 29 — Las Vegas, NV @ The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Nov 30 — Las Vegas, NV @ The Colosseum at Caesars Palace
Dec 7 — Atlantic City, NJ @ Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena Dec 9 — Washington, DC @ The Theater MGM National Harbor Dec 12 — Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena Dec 13 — Boston, MA @ Boch Center Wang Theatre Dec 15 — New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
The Butterfly Returns 2020
Feb 14, 2020 — Las Vegas, NV @ The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Feb 15, 2020 — Las Vegas, NV @ The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Feb 19, 2020 — Las Vegas, NV @ The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Feb 21, 2020 — Las Vegas, NV @ The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Feb 22, 2020 — Las Vegas, NV @ The Colosseum at Caesars Palace
The 49-year-old Puerto Rican superstar, who began her career as a dancer, has taken part in United Cancer Front’s Dance or Donate Challenge, which aims to help the organization continue its mission of finding a cure for cancer via immunotherapy and targeted treatments.
The rules of the challenge are that the participant needs to dance for 15 seconds or donate a minimum of $10 to UCF. Additionally, they must challenge at least three of their friends and loved ones to partake.
Lopez, challenged by Today‘s Hoda Kotb, filmed her dance challenge video at one of the train platforms at New York’s Madison Square Gardengrounds.
And J.Lo took it to a grander scale. She put her well known choreography talents to the test as she and her dancers broke out in some wild moves in the subway station.
Other celebrities who’ve taken the challenge include Thomas Rhett, Kelly Clarkson, and many more.
The Spanish tween pop group will be the subject of a new Netflix documentary.
“Parchís wasn’t successful; Parchís was a social phenomenon,” Ignacio Janer, the former international director of the record label Discos Beltran, says in the trailer for the doc.
Formed in 1979 by a Barcelona-based record company, Parchís released 20 albums, starred in seven movies, became a household name in Mexico, sold more albums than The Beatlesin Peru and played Madison Square Gardenbefore the group disbanded in 1985.
Like other bittersweet behind-the-music docs, this one follows the group’s rise and fall via vintage footage and anecdotes from band members and others involved about sex, life on the road (in this case without parental chaperones) and money gone missing.
“The group’s original members, two girls and three boys, had responded to a casting call seeking children between 8 and 12 years old “with a good sense of rhythm.”
Named for the board game Parcheesi, they were dressed in satin outfits in colors of the game’s pawns. Their first song was “En La Armada,” a Spanish version of Village People‘s “In the Navy.”
As the documentary reveals, payola quickly ensured the band’s exposure, and their success with the younger set went way beyond what the label had envisioned. They sold millions of albums and played concerts for up to 10,000 adolescent fans.
Soon, the members of Parchís were away from their parents, first crammed into their manager’s car on tours through Spain, and then flying to gigs in South America; soon they were staying for extended periods in Mexico, where, the documentary attests, they were pretty much given free rein in the hours they weren’t performing on stages or in studios.
“It was kind of chaos,” Parchís member Yolanda Ventura says in the film, laughing at the memory. “Nobody was watching over us.”
Going through puberty in the public eye, the band members had some of their first romantic and sexual experiences with each other, the film reveals. The eldest of Parchís members, Tono, emerged as the band’s frontman, a chick magnet who hooked up with fans, and also their mothers.
While the band members fondly describe moments of what one calls the best times of their lives, those interviewed also make clear that the young stars were manipulated by managers and “robbed” in a situation that was mishandled by their parents, a charge one father answers by explaining that they simply did not understand the workings of the music business.
Joaquín Oristrell, who came onboard as a chaperone for the band members when things had gotten out of hand, blames the parents. “[You had] a very bad record label, some perverted men, some exploiters. But they are your kids, there is no excuse.”
Without drawing definite conclusions, the film raises questions about what happened to the equivalent of more than $14 million that the band earned but never saw, with fingers pointing to both the band’s Mexican manager and the label, which later went into bankruptcy (some say under suspicious circumstances).
Parchís dissolved, leaving its young members to figure out life outside of fame.
The 25-year-old Colombian singer/rapper will make his acting debut in the Jennifer Lopez–Owen Wilson romantic comedy Marry Me.
Returning to Universal Picturesafter its initial set-up at STX, the film is being directed by Kat Coiro.
Described asNotting Hill meetsThe Proposal, Marry Me centers on a pop superstar (Lopez) who, moments before marrying her rock-star fiancé at Madison Square Garden, finds out he was cheating with her assistant and spontaneously melts down onstage and picks a random math teacher (Wilson) out of the crowd to marry instead. What starts as a goof ends up becoming an exploration of relationships, expectations and destiny.
Maluma will play Lopez’s cheating fiancé.
The film is based on a graphic novel by Bobby Crosby. John Rogersand Tami Sagheradapted the screenplay with a rewrite by Harper Dill.
Marry Me goes into production this October in New York.
Maluma is signed with Sony Music, and has a Latin Grammyand two Latin American Music Awards. He has collaborated with artists like Thalía, Shakira, Madonnaand Ricky Martin. His songs “Chantaje” with Shakira and “Medellín” with Madonnahave reached the top of the Hot Latin Songschart.
The 28-year-old Dominican boxer is set to face junior bantamweight world titleholder Khalid Yafai in a mandatory challenge bout after their camps made a deal for the fight.
The agreement came on Tuesday, just before the bout was scheduled to be put up for a purse bid at the WBAoffices in Panama City.
There’s no set date for the fight yet, but Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn told ESPN that he might place it on the undercard of unified heavyweight world titleholder Anthony Joshua‘s defense against Jarrell “Big Baby” Milleron June 1 at Madison Square Gardenin New York.
Hearn said if the fight is not on the Joshua-Miller card it would likely be scheduled for another date in June in the United Kingdom.
Yafai (25-0, 15 KOs), 29, of England, has made four title defenses, most recently a unanimous decision over Israel Gonzalezon November 24 in Monte Carlo.
Jimenez (29-8-4, 16 KOs), 28, of the Dominican Republic, hasn’t lost since a four-rounder in 2011, but he also has not faced top opposition.
The 24-year-old Puerto Rican Latin trap and reggaeton singer, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, has announced his 2019 tour dates, with a return to the Unites States on the docket.
Kicking off at Santander Arena in Reading, Pennsylvania, on March 14, Bad Bunny will perform in 14 shows, including such legendary arenas as Madison Square Garden in New York and the Tacoma Dome in Washington State.
The tour is being promoted by Cardenas Marketing Network (CMN).
Ticket sales will start on Friday, December 21.
This year, Bad Bunny visited the U.S. with his La Nueva Religióntour with most dates selling out, including his stops at the American Airlines Arena in Miami and The Forum in Los Angeles.