Giovanni Reyna Signs New Long-Term Contract with Borussia Dortmund

Giovanni Reyna isn’t going anywhere…

The 18-year-old half-Argentine American soccer player and U.S. Men’s National Team international has signed a new long-term contract with Bundesliga giants Borussia Dortmund until 2025.

Giovanni Reyna 

Reyna, who made his USMNT debut earlier this week against Wales, is regarded as one of the most promising talents in the Bundesliga.

Sources told ESPN there was interest in Reyna from the Premier League and La Liga, but he was focused solely on continuing his career with Dortmund.

BVB are a big club that can challenge for titles and are in all the important competitions,” Reyna said. “Young players in particular have the chance to develop here.

“I have already learned a lot in Dortmund and I want to learn a lot more in future. I look forward to being with BVB in the long term.”

Reyna signed an initial three-year deal when he agreed to join Dortmund from MLS side New York City in November 2018. He arrived at BVB in July 2019 and went on to make his debut in February 2020.

He has been an ever-present this season, making 12 appearances for Dortmund, scoring twice, and contributing five assists.

“It’s a great thing for Borussia Dortmund to have a player like Gio, he has a lot of potential,” coach Lucien Favre said at a pre-match news conference on Friday. “If he continues like this, then he’ll be an extremely important player for BVB throughout the future.”

Sporting director Michael Zorc added: “Gio’s development in recent months has been incredible. He will definitely be an important part of Borussia Dortmund’s sporting future.

“I am personally very pleased that he has decided to extend his contract with BVB in the long term with complete conviction.”

Reyna is part of Borussia’s highly rated bunch of young attackers along with Jadon Sancho and Erling Haaland.

Reyna’s debut for the USMNT was due to happen earlier this year, but the fixture schedule was interrupted due to COVID-19. Reyna has now followed in father Claudio Reyna‘s footsteps in playing for the USMNT.

Raul Jimenez Signs Contract Extension with Wolverhampton Wanderers

Raul Jimenez will be doing some more Wander-ing in the near future…

The 29-year-old Mexican professional footballer has signed a new contract with Wolverhampton Wanderers that’ll see him stay with the Premier League club until 2024.

Jimenez moved to the Wolves team from Benfica in 2018 and has since scored 46 times in 103 appearances.

“I am delighted to be here and to be at this great club,” he said. “Since I was a little boy, I just wanted to play, I wanted to enjoy it, live it, and that’s why I am here for.

Jimenez signs a contract extension amid interest from a number of clubs from across Europe for the player’s signature.

“It didn’t take much persuading. It was easy for me to say yes because since the beginning, this is what I was looking for,” Jimenez said.

“They [Wolves] give me all the confidence and the opportunity to be an important guy at the front, and that’s what I was looking for when I arrived into Europe, and I’m very happy to continue at this club.”

The player has been crucial in manager Nuno Espirito Santo‘s success at Wolves, with the club qualifying for the Europa League in their first season back in the top flight.

“The last two seasons we have given very good performances, so I knew this club has something special and I’m part of a big family here,” he said.

“I think Wolves are getting the best out of me, and I’m giving Wolves my best football, but they are giving the best to me too.”

This season the forward has featured three times managing to score twice in the Premier League so far.

James Rodriguez Leaving Real Madrid for Everton FC

James Rodriguez is officially headed to the England…

The 29-year-old Colombian soccer player has joined Everton FC from Real Madrid, the Premier League club has announced.

James Rodriguez

The clubs have agreed a €25 million fee, according to ESPN. The deal will officially be for two years with an option for a third.

This is the third time Rodriguez has linked up with coach Carlo Ancelotti, having worked together at Real Madrid during the 2014-15 season and Bayern Munich in the 2017-18 season.

“I am really, really happy to be at this great club, a club with so much history, and here with a manager who knows me really well,” James told the Everton’s website.

“I’m looking forward to achieving great things here — and winning things, which is what everyone’s aim is. I’ve come here to try to improve, to get better. I’ve also come here to help the team to win, to play good football — entertaining football.”

Ancelotti’s presence at Goodison Park is understood to have been critical in getting a deal done.

“James… is a fantastic player with a lot of quality and a lot of ability to make assists for the strikers,” Ancelotti said.

“He was really excited to sign and I didn’t spend time to convince him — he was already convinced.”

Rodriguez is Everton’s second major signing in the close-season following the arrival of Brazilian midfielder Allan from Napoli.

Everton finished 12th last term and begin their new Premier League campaign with a trip to Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

Rodriguez was desperate to leave the Bernabeu this summer to restart his career after a disappointing final season in La Liga.

James had been given permission by Real Madrid to skip preseason training last week as the move was being finalized.

The playmaker signed with Real Madrid from AS Monaco for €80m in 2014 after excelling at the World Cup.

Arsenal Sign Gabriel from Lille

Gabriel Magalhaes has an arsenal behind him…

The 22-year-old Brazilian soccer player has been signed by Arsenal F.C. from Lille, the Premier League club has revealed.

Gabriel Magalhaes

ESPN reported last month that Gabriel, as he’s known, had agreed a deal that will cost Arsenal €30 million (£27m).

“So many fans were sending me messages asking me to join Arsenal, and that played a big part in me signing for this club,” Gabriel told Arsenal Digital.

“I know the history and traditions of this club and it is a pleasure being here. I am very happy and hope I can contribute to many titles with the Arsenal shirt.

“It was a very surreal experience, there were offers coming from a few different clubs.

“I spoke a lot with my family and my agents, I also spoke with some of Lille’s directors, but as I said, this club’s history and traditions and the team project for the next few years were very motivational for my decision to come here.

Manchester UnitedEverton and Napoli were all reported to be interested in the Brazil under-20 international, who has helped the French side secure Champions League football for the last two seasons.

“We welcome Gabriel to Arsenal. He has many qualities which will make us stronger as a defensive unit and as a team,” said Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta. “He has proved with Lille that he is a defender with many outstanding attributes and we are looking forward to watching him grow as an Arsenal player.”

David Silva Signs with Real Sociedad

David Silva is ready to kick things up in Spain…

Real Sociedad have signed the 34-year-old Spanish footballer and former Manchester City midfielder as a free agent, the La Liga side has announced.

David Silva

Silva recently left Man City after a decade of service, in which he won 11 major trophies including four Premier League titles.

Manchester City had recently announced that they’d be honoring Ruiz by building a statue of him outside the Etihad Stadium.

La Real, who finished sixth in La Liga, were searching for a new playmaker after Martin Odegaard ended a one-year loan spell to return to Real Madrid.

Silva had been linked with a move to Italian club Lazio, but instead returns to his home country, having begun his professional career at Valencia.

In a social media post, Silva said goodbye to Man City fans:

“I look back and it’s clear I could not have made a better decision than to accept City’s proposal to join their project back in 2010,” he said.

“Manchester City and I have grown together. In 10 years, I have developed personally and professionally. I have celebrated many victories and titles and lived through epic moments.

“I have seen my lovely child, Mateo, born and I have even started to feel comfortable under heavy rain! City are a fantastic family. I won’t ever forget the way they threw themselves into helping me when I suffered the hardest moments of my life, offering me support and empathy.”

Manchester City to Pay Tribute to David Silva with Statue

David Silva may be leaving Manchester City, but his likeness will live on…

Manchester City has announced that they’ll erect a statue of the 34-year-old Spanish footballer outside Etihad Stadium as a tribute to the player as he leaves after 10 years with the club.

City’s Champions League exit to Lyon on Sunday marked his final game after he announced in June that he’d leave Manchester at the end of the 2019-20 season.

Silva won 11 trophies with the club including four Premier League titles, two FA Cups, five League Cups and three Community Shield trophies.

“David Silva is a transformational player; a quiet leader who has acted quietly and deliberately and inspired everyone around him, from the youngest academy player to his senior teammates over the past 10 years,” City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarakn said in a statement.

“He has put a stamp on the team, on this club, its history and even the Premier League as a whole. In doing so he has been instrumental to the beautiful football philosophy you see today. He was the start of it.”

City announced in 2019 that a similar statue would be erected of former City captain Vincent Kompany, with both statues are set to be unveiled in 2021.

Capped 125 times by Spain, Silva won the World Cup in 2010 and the European Championship in 2008 and 2012.

He told ESPN last year that he’d like to end his career playing for Las Palmas, his hometown club on the island of Gran Canaria.

“Ten years for me is enough. It’s the perfect time for me,” he said of his departure.

“Initially, City were talking about two years, but I decided to sign [for] another one, so I finished at 10 years.

“It completes the cycle. It’s a nice round figure. I can never see myself playing against City for another team. So 10 years — that’s it.”

Willian Signs with Arsenal

Willian is switching sides

The 32-year-old Brazilian professional footballer and midfielder, whose full name is Willian Borges da Silva, has signed with Arsenal on a free transfer after his departure from Chelsea.

Willian

Willian ended his seven-year spell at Stamford Bridge and signed a three-year deal with the Gunners.

Willian’s deal is worth a reported £220,000-a-week.

“I believe he’s a player that can really make a difference for us,” Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta said. “We have been monitoring him for the past few months, we had a clear intention to strengthen in the attacking midfielder and the winger positions, [and] he is a player that gives us a lot of versatility, he can play in three or four different positions.

“He has the experience of everything in the football world but to still have the ambition to come here and contribute to bring the club where it belongs. I have been really impressed with all the talks I have had with him and how much he wanted to come.”

Arteta is looking to strengthen his squad ahead of next season. William Saliba joined them after Pablo Mari and Cedric Soares signed permanent deals in June.

Arsenal’s FA Cup final victory over Chelsea — which Willian missed because of an Achilles injury — means they can at least offer Europa League football next season.

Willian won two Premier League titles, the Europa League, the FA Cup and the League Cup during his time at Chelsea.

Sebastian Soto Signs with Norwich City

Sebastian Soto is switching sides… 

The 20-year-old Chilean and Mexican American youth international soccer player has completed his move to English Championship side Norwich City, the club has revealed.

Sebastian Soto

Soto arrives on a free transfer, signing a three-year deal plus an option of another year after his contract with 2.Bundesliga side Hannover 96 expired. 

As Soto’s application for a work permit was denied, he’ll be forced to go out on loan for the first year of the deal, with a move to Dutch Eerste Divisie side Telstar among the possibilities.

“It’s a proud feeling. It’s super exciting to join Norwich City,” Soto said.

“The facilities here are really impressive. From the minute I arrived here, it’s given me a lot of excitement.

“Being a young player, it’s nice to hear that the head coach gives us a chance. It was a big factor in me moving here.

“I’m striker that loves scoring goals. I love being part of a good team that plays good football.”

Soto made five first team appearances for Hannover, and much was expected following an impressive set of performances for the U.S. Under-20 side at least year’s FIFA U20 World Cup.

But once it became apparent that Soto wouldn’t sign a new deal with Hannover, his place in the first team was compromised with injuries and overall competition for places also playing a part.

Norwich was recently relegated from the Premier League, but if Soto makes the most of his loan move, it could be a case of good timing. 

Top scorer Teemu Pukki will be 31 by the time Soto’s presumptive loan would end, which might put the American in a better position to contend for a starting spot. The club did recently sign 23-year-old Luxembourg forward Danel Sinani.

Employment regulations will change when the UK leaves the European Union in January 2021, making it easier for Soto to get a work permit.

Soto signed with Hannover in 2018 after rising through the youth system at MLS side Real Salt Lake. He made a positive first impression at Hannover, scoring 17 goals in 24 appearances with Hannover’s U19 team during the 2018-19 season. He made his first team debut later in that campaign.

Real Madrid’s Marcelo Takes Knee & Raises Fist in Solidarity with BLM Movement After Scoring Goal Against Eibar

Marcelo is taking a new in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement…

The 32-year-old Brazilian soccer player and Real Madrid left-back took a knee and raised his fist after scoring in the team’s 3-1 La Liga victory over Eibar on Sunday.

Marcelo

Marcelo tallied the Real Madrid’s third goal of the day — pouncing on a poor clearance and beating Eibar goalkeeper Marko Dmitrovic with a low, driven shot from the edge of the penalty box. 

He then immediately dropped to his knees, lowered his head and raised his right fist — a gesture which is often seen as a symbol of the Black Power movement that gained prominence in the United States in the 1960s and ’70s and associated with the current Black Lives Matter movement.

The display comes as players, clubs and leagues throughout the sport have expressed solidarity in the wake of the May 25 killing of George Floyd, a black man, who died after Derek Chauvin, a white police officer, kneeled on his neck for more than eight minutes in Minnesota. Floyd’s death has spurred demonstrations against racial injustice around the world.

Several clubs paid tributes earlier this month to Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement on their warm-up shirts prior to league matches. Marcus ThuramJadon SanchoAchraf Hakimi and United States international Weston McKennie have been among the players who have showed their support. And last week, the Premier League announcedit will allow players to replace the names on the back of their jerseys with the words “Black Lives Matter” for one round and that teams will wear a patch to show support for the movement for the rest of the season.

FIFA, whose rules prohibit “any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images” on equipment, made a rare public statement last week in which it urged competition organizers to apply “common sense” and consider not sanctioning players for solidarity during matches.

Adam Lallana Signs Short-Term Contract Extension with Liverpool

Adam Lallana is staying put a bit longer…

The 32-year-old English professional soccer player of Spanish descent has signed a short-term deal at Liverpool.

Adam Lallana

Lallana will leave Liverpoolas a free agent at the end of this season after manager Jurgen Kloppsanctioned the contract extension for the midfielder to “finish the job” of delivering the Premier Leaguetitle to Anfield.

Lallana’s contract was due to expire at the end of June, but Liverpool have confirmed that he has now signed a deal that will keep him at the club until the end of the 2019-20 season.

Despite injuries during the latter part of his Liverpool career, Klopp said Lallana, who arrived from Southamptonin June 2014, deserves the chance to share in the club’s imminent title celebrations, with the team needing just six points from nine remaining games to win the league for the first time since 1990.

“I know how highly sought after Adam is in this moment by other clubs who want him for next season, so for him this is a commitment to us and we are very appreciative to him for it,” Klopp told the club’s website.

“This is absolutely how it should be, too, because I am so pleased he will be with us to finish the job this season and have the farewell he deserves so much.

“Adam always puts the club first — always. In the conversations we have had, he has been the first to express that my priority as a manager needs to be the players who are at this club for longer than just the rest of this season.

“He wants to be here to finish the job and do it properly, but it says everything about him that his biggest concern was blocking the progress and opportunity of a player who is under contract for next season also.

“But his role is too important to lose him before this season is done. So, it’s fantastic we can delay our messages of gratitude and good luck until the end of July now.”

Lallana has started just three league games this season, coming on as a substitute on 12 occasions, and said his role is likely to remain as a squad player in the final weeks of the campaign.

“The gaffer has been different class and we’ve had an honest conversation about what my role will be in the remaining weeks,” Lallana said.

“I want to contribute in the most positive way possible that helps him and the team, not just for the remaining matches of this season — but also what they’ll need to consider for next.

“I’m totally at peace with what that looks and feels like, and I know the role I’ll be playing for this team will help in what’s going to be an extraordinary period — the likes of which none of us have ever experienced.

“I feel in my time at Liverpool I’ve always looked to do the right thing for the team, the manager and the club in every decision I’ve made. I think this one fits into that category as well, so I’m buzzing to be seeing out this campaign and hopefully get to celebrate something memorable with an amazing group of people.”