The Latino entertainment executive has been appointed as the head of Banijay across the U.S. and Latin America.
The 51 Minds Entertainment co-founder scored the top job after Banijay closed its acquisition of Endemol Shine. He becomes Chairman of the Americas, Banijay and President and CEO, Endemol Shine Holdings, reporting to CEO Marco Bassetti.
Abrego, who was previously CEO, Endemol Shine North America and Chairman, Endemol Shine Americas, will oversee companies including Endemol Shine North America, Bunim/Murray Productions, Authentic Entertainment, Truly Original, 51 Minds, Stephen David Entertainment and YellowBird US as well as Endemol Shine Latino.
Banijay Studios North America will continue to be run independently by President and CEO, David Goldberg.
Nacho Vigalondo is neighboring his way onto a new Netflixproject…
The 41-year-old Spanish filmmaker will direct the Spanish superhero comedy series El Vecino, based on the graphic novels by Santiago Garcia and Pepo Perez.
It’s one of five new projects announced by Netflix, as the company continues its investment in Spanish originals.
The five new projects which will launch on the service worldwide in 2020.
Elite‘s co-creator, Carlos Montero, has a new project in the works for Netflix. El Desorden Que Dejasis a psychological drama based on Montero’s own award-winning novel.
There are two female-centered series to come including dramedy Valeria based on the novels by Elísabet Benavent, and Días De Navidad starring Fortitude‘s Verónica Echegui, Las Chicas Del Cable‘s Anna Molinerand High Heels‘ Victoria Abril.
The fifth project is an anime adaptation of the best-selling novel Memorias De Idhun by Laura Gallego and produced by Endemol Shine’s Zeppelin.
Netflix’s Vice President Original Series, Francisco Ramos, noted the “meaningful investment in the Spanish market” via the new projects and said the plan is to continue not only with series, but also movies, documentaries and unscripted.
In addition, Netflix is also in production on new seasons for hits La Casa De Papel, Las Chicas Del Cable and Elite as well as new shows Hache, Alta Marand Criminal.
Here’s a closer look at the new Spanish originals:
– El Vecino: Javier’s life is not going well. The last thing he needs is for an alien to land on him and transfer its powers before dying. Now Javier is a superhero, but it turns out super powers are useless when you get fired from your job or your girlfriend decides she wants to take a break. Fortunately, Javier’s friend and neighbor José will teach him to use his powers for good and hide his secret identity, especially from his girlfriend who’s now investigating Titan, the mysterious superhero.
Director: Nacho Vigalondo; Showrunners: Carlos de Pando, Sara Antuña; Writers: Miguel Esteban and Raúl Navarro; Executive producers: Nahikari Ipiña, Eneko Gutiérrez; Production company: Zeta Audiovisual; Main cast: Quim Gutiérrez, Clara Lago, Catalina Sopelana and Adrián Pino
– El Desorden Que Dejas: Aiming to give her marriage a second chance, young literature teacher Raquel accepts a position in the town where her husband grew up. She soon learns that another teacher committed suicide, possibly bullied by her very own students, and begins a quest to find the truth in a place where everybody seems to have secrets.
Writer/Creator: Carlos Montero, based on his novel published by Planeta
– Días de Navidad: Showcases the Christmas celebration of four sisters in their family home through three different time periods, which are also three key moments in their lives. Family dynamics, secrets and personal confrontations will be seen from different perspectives through the lens of time.
Creator/Director: Pau Freixas; Writers: Pau Freixas, Clara Esparrach; Production company: Filmax (Arca Audiovisual); Main cast: Verónica Echegui, Anna Moliner, Nerea Barros, Victoria Abril, Verónica Forqué, Charo López, Ángela Molina and Elena Anaya
– Valeria: Valeria is a writer in crisis, both with her novels and her emotionally distant husband. But she finds solace in her three best friends who support her through her journey.
Writers: María López Castaño, Aurora Gracià, Almudena Ocaña, Fernanda Eguiarte; Creator: María López Castaño based on the novels by Elísabet Benavent; Creative consultant: Elísabet Benavent; Production company: Plano a Plano
– Memorias De Idhún: On the day of the astral conjunction of three suns and moons in Idhun, Ashran the Necromancer gathered all the power and began the kingdom of terror of the winged snakes. On Earth, Jack and Victoria fight a battle for Idhun’s freedom. But the heroes still don’t know the design of a prophecy that will intertwine their fates.
Director: Maite Ruiz de Austri; Executive producers: Pilar Blasco, Alexis Barroso; Writers: Laura Gallego, Andrés Carrión; Production company: Zeppelin
The 46-year-old Puerto Rican radio personality, former rapper and actress has signed her first development deal.
Martinez has entered into a pact with Endemol Shine North America, where she’ll develop television projects, both scripted and unscripted, for traditional and digital platforms.
“Working with Endemol Shine is an exciting first step for me in defining the next phase of my career,” said Martinez. “I’m looking forward to using my voice and platform to develop content that authentically speaks to the culture.”
On the radio for more than 20 years, Martinez is no stranger to television. She’s a fixture on the daytime talk-show circuit and, last year, released her first memoir, which became a New York Times best-seller.
Martinez will pursue TV projects under the Endemol Shine shingle Major TV.
“Angie is undeniably one of the most influential personalities in pop culture,” said Endemol Shine North America president Cris Abrego. “We’re thrilled to be in business with her, and we’re already developing a handful of original, ground-breaking projects with Angie and the team at Major TV.”