Ava DuVernay & Robert Patino Offer First Look at Rosario Dawson’s DC Apocalyptic Series “DMZ”

Rosario Dawson is heading into the demilitarized zone

Ava DuVernay and Robert Patino have offered a first look at their DC apocalyptic series DMZ, starring the 42-year-old Puerto Rican and Cuban American actress/activist and Benjamin Bratt during this weekend’s DC FanDome.

Rosario Dawson, DMZ

The four-part limited series, which will debut on HBO Max, takes place in the future where America is caught up in a Civil War.

“It’s a story about a fractured people that are coming together. We have a civil war between the free states of America and the United States of America. It takes place eights years into that DMZ where the rule of law is basically dictated by the most powerful person at any possible time and that can change from block to block,” explains Patino.

Rosario Dawson, DMZ

There’s “an outsider who comes in and turns everything upside down,” teases DuVernay.

Expounding on that character, played by Dawson, Patino said “Alma was inspired by the most fascinating character in the comics and underseved, a medic named Zee.”

“I took the creative guard rails off and reinvented her,” says Patino with photos from the set and Dawson’s Zee unveiled.

DuVernay describing how prescient the series will be, “it’s set a few moments in the future on what would be if the worst of our divisions get to us.”

Bratt plays Parco Delgado, the popular — and deadly — leader of one of the most powerful gangs in the DMZ. He wants to rule the DMZ and will stop at nothing to secure that outcome. Delgado is known as a wildly magnetic, affable and equally influential man.

DMZ is written and executive produced by showrunner Patino and is directed and executive produced by DuVernay.

The series is produced by Array Filmworks in association with WBTV.

Farruko’s “Pepas” Reaches No. 1 on Billboard’s Latin Airplay Chart

Farruko is continuing his chart domination…

The 30-year-old Puerto Rican singer and songwriter’s latest single “Pepas” has reached the No. 1 slot on Billboard’s Latin Airplay survey dated October 9 with a 3-1 jump.

Farruko

“Pepas” rules with 11 million in audience impressions, up 14%, earned in the U.S. in the week ending October 3, according to MRC Data. The track has now reached No. 1 on nine different Billboard song charts.

The new command arrives in tandem with its Hot Latin Songs’ lead as the track took over atop the August 28-dated tally where it has remained since then (it’s currently in its seventh week), earning Farruko his first No. 1 on the chart.

The club banger has received remixes from David Guetta, Lil Jon, Don Omar, Mr. Samtrax, Nico DJ, and more. With its new Latin Airplay win, the EDM song gifts Farruko a 10th career leader.

It concurrently ascends with an equal 3-1 on Latin Rhythm Airplay, also his 10th win there.

As “Pepas” gains territory on two new Billboard charts, it adds a ninth coronation across Billboard charts. Here’s a recap in order of arrival:

Chart, Peak Date, Weeks at No. 1
Latin Digital Song Sales, August 7, nine weeks (and counting)
Latin Rhythm Digital Song Sales, August 7, nine (and counting)
Dance/Electronic Streaming Songs, August 7, 10 (and counting)
Hot Dance/Electronic Songs, August 21, eight (and counting)
Dance/Electronic Digital Song Sales, August 21, one
Hot Latin Songs, August 28, seven (and counting)
Latin Streaming Songs, August 28, 7 weeks (and counting)
Latin Airplay, Oct. 9Latin Rhythm Airplay, Oct. 9

Over on the Global charts, “Pepas” has netted Farruko his highest charting rankings and two new career top 10s: a No. 7 peak and a No. 5 high on the Global 200 tally and the Global Excl. U.S. chart (dated Sept. 4) respectively.

“Pepas” is the second single from La 167, a nod to the Puerto Rican’s homeland and eighth studio album released October 1. The album was preceded by the No. 4-peaked “La Tóxica” (Nov. 2020).

Trailer Released for Paz Vega’s Tornado-Themed Mystery/Adventure Film “13 Minutes”

It’s a matter of minutes before Paz Vega’s latest project comes out…

Quiver Distribution has released a trailer for 13 Minutes, starring the 45-year-old Spanish actress.

Paz Vega

The first feature film from director Lindsay Gossling, 13 Minutes follows four families in a Heartland town as they are tested in a single day when a tornado hits, forcing paths to cross and redefining the meaning of survival.

The trailer starts with people in a state of panic as a tornado outbreak approaches. These families have dealt with tornadoes before, but nothing quite like this.

Finally, the families come together and try to make it through the night.

In addition to Vega, the film also features country music star/actor Trace Adkins, Thora Birch, Amy Smart, Peter Facinelli, Anne Heche, Will Peltz, Sofia Vassilieva, and deaf actress and YouTuber Shaylee Mansfield.

Gossling wrote the script with storm chaser Travis Farcombe, and worked with him to incorporate the look, feel, and timing of tornados into the film, her goal being to ground her story in reality.

13 Minutes will open only in theaters October 29th. It will hit VOD November 19th, becoming available to purchase as a DVD on December 7th.

Fernanda Urrejola to Star in the Thriller “The Woods”

Fernanda Urrejola is heading into the woods…

The 40-year-old Chilean actress will star opposite J.K. Simmons and Allen Leech in the thriller The Woods.

Fernanda Urrejola

Isabelle Anaya is also starring in the project.

Michelle Schumacher will direct from a screenplay she co-wrote with Carolyn Carpenter.

The film centers on a teenage girl suffering from anxiety due to a tragic event from her past who finds herself hunted through the woods by a sociopath on a murderous rampage.

“I didn’t want to play any truly scary bad guys when our kids were young, partly because of how it might affect them if they saw the film and also because I didn’t want to bring that energy home with me after an intense day on the set,” Simmons said. But now that his two children are in college, Simmons has freed himself to unleash his inner villain.

Urrejola can currently be seen in Warner Bros.’ Cry Macho, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood.

Arturo Perez Jr. to Direct Paramount Player’s Film Adaptation of “Mean Girls the Musical” Alongside Wife

Arturo Perez Jr. is preparing for a mean moment…

The Mexican award-winning film and music video director and his wife Samantha Jayne will direct the film adaptation of Mean Girls the Musical for Paramount Players.

Arturo Perez Jr. x Samantha Jayne

 

The film will be produced by Lorne Michaels and Tina Fey with a script by Fey and featuring music by Jeff Richmond and lyrics by Nell Benjamin, who was responsible for the music from the Broadway production.

Erin David, Caroline Maroney, and Micah Frank are overseeing for Broadway Video and Eric Gurian for Little Stranger.

While the details behind this latest adaptation are being kept under wraps, the film that started it all was written by Fey and starred Fey, Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams in a high school comedy about a new girl fitting with the A-list clique at her new school only to have slowly backfire after she falls for the leader’s ex-boyfriend.

The Fey script would later be adapted at the Broadway level and given a musical upgrade with that version also being produced by Michaels, Stuart Thompson, Sonia Friedman and Paramount Pictures. Casey Nicholaw directed it as well as handled the choreography.

The film has reportedly become a high priority with Players executives after Perez and Jayne gave a strong presentation for what the adaptation could look like. Sources say that only did their pitch still have a deep love and respect for the original movie but also brought their own approach by subtly updating that story without taking away from the original, and this ultimately sealed the deal for them landing the coveted job.

With this being the duo’s feature directorial-debut at a studio, it falls in line with Paramount Players continuing to keep an eye out for rising talent in the directing world.

While this marks Perez and Jayne’s first time directing a film, the duo have built quite a fan base as their collaborations span across film, music videos and television. Most recently, they co-created Quarter Life Poetry, which premiered at Sundance and was then released on FX on Hulu. Perez and Jayne are repped by UTA, and Annie Lee and Daniel Passman at Gang, Tyre, Ramer, Brown & Passman.

Brandon Figueroa to Put WBC & WBA Titles On Line Against Stephen Fulton in November

Brandon Figueroa is putting his titles on the line…

The 24-year-old Mexican American professional boxer, who currently holds the WBC and WBA super bantamweight titles, will face Stephen Fulton on November 27 at Park MGM in Las Vegas, according to Premier Boxing Champions.

Brandon Figueroa

The Showtime main event was set for September 18 but was postponed after Figueroa tested positive for COVID-19.

Murodjon Akhmadaliev, ESPN’s No. 1 boxer at junior featherweight, holds two titles. After Fulton and Figueroa fight — assuming there’s no draw — there will be just two champions at 122 pounds, clearing the path for an undisputed title fight next year.

Fulton (19-0, 8 KOs) won the WBO version of the title in January with a unanimous decision victory over Angelo Leo. The 27-year-old Philadelphian, ESPN’s No. 2 junior featherweight, threw 1,183 punches in the breakthrough win.

Figueroa (22-0-1, 17 KOs) won the WBC junior featherweight title with a seventh-round KO of Luis Nery in a career-best performance in May. The volume puncher from Weslaco, Texas, and ESPN’s No. 3 boxer at 122 pounds is the younger brother of former title contender Omar Figueroa Jr.

The bout, which features two volume punchers, seems like a can’t-miss action fight.

The undercard is topped by Ra’eese Aleem, ESPN’s No. 7 boxer at 122 pounds, against Eduardo Baez. Aleem is coming off a career-best win, an 11th-round stoppage of Vic Pasillas in January. Gary Antonio Russell, the younger brother of Gary Russell Jr., meets Alejandro Barrios in the 118-pound opener.

Vince Velasquez Signs Minor League Contract with San Diego Padres

Que padre(s)! Vince Velasquez is heading back to the mound…

The 29-year-old Latino professional baseball pitcher, a right-hander, has signed a minor league contract with the San Diego Padres.

Vince Velasquez

Velasquez, who was released by the Philadelphia Phillies on Tuesday, is expected to be added to San Diego’s active 28-man roster this weekend in St. Louis and make a start during the three-game series against the Cardinals, the Padres said.

A seven-year veteran, Velasquez, 29, is 3-6 with a 5.95 ERA this season.

He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Houston Astros and Philadelphia Phillies.

Ozuna Reveals Next Single Will Feature DJ Snake, Megan Thee Stallion & BLACKPINK

Ozuna is going global with his next single…

The 29-year-old Puerto Rican singer, who performed at Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards alongside a bunch of dancing teddy bears during a high-energy showcase of his new single “La Funka,” Ozuna revealed that he’s calling on two global stars to perform on his latest track.

Ozuna

Speaking to MTV News on the red carpet of the show, Ozuna revealed that his next single will feature DJ Snake, Megan Thee Stallion and BLACKPINK.

“It’s coming up next,” Ozuna said excitedly of his reconnection with French DJ/record producer Snake, who also backed him up on the hit 2018 single “Taki Taki featuring Selena Gomez and Cardi B.

At press time no further details were available about the song title or release date.

After releasing Los Dioses, his collaborative project with Anuel AA, in January, Ozuna recently released the uptempo single “La Funka” and appeared in the Fast & Furious franchise’s ninth film, F9.

This year he also became the first artist to score a large-scale partnership with the Call of Duty mobile game. Ozuna’s partnership with Call of Duty: Mobile includes an official skin (meaning an outfit for player avatars) and other in-game content, which was timed to the release of the game’s seventh season, “Elite of the Elite,” on August 25.

That same day, he also released an original song, titled “A La Buena El Mejor,” to serve as the season’s official theme.

HBO Max Renews Zion Moreno’s “Gossip Girl” for Second Season

There’s more gossip in Zion Moreno’s future…

HBO Max has renewed its Gossip Girl reboot, starring the 26-year-old Mexican American actress/model, for season 2 ahead.

Zion Moreno

The news comes ahead of the release of the second part of its debut season, which is set to premiere in November.

Gossip Girl is a reboot of a CW original series of the same name which is set 9 years after the original website went dark.

The new iteration of Gossip Girl, written by showrunner Joshua Safran, is based on the book by Cecily von Ziegesar and the original show, developed by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, which ran from 2007-2012.

The HBO Max series follows a new generation of New York private school teens who are introduced to the social surveillance of Gossip Girl. The series explores just how much social media — and the landscape of New York itself — has changed in the intervening years.

In addition to Moreno, season one also stars Jordan Alexander, Eli Brown, Thomas Doherty, Tavi Gevinson, Emily Alyn Lind, Evan Mock, Whitney Peak, and Savannah Lee Smith with Todd Almond, Adam Chanler-Berat, Johnathan Fernandez, and Jason Gotay.

Executive producers include Schwartz and Savage of Fake Empire and Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo of Alloy Entertainment. Lis Rowinski of Fake Empire serves as co-executive producer.

The reboot was hailed by the steamer as its most-watched original series over the first weekend of availability. It also saw record viewership over the first four days of availability. The first episode opened to viewers in 555,000 U.S. households, per Samba TV.

The first six episodes of the first half of season 1 are currently available to stream via HBO Max.

Vanna White to Continue Hosting “Wheel of Fortune” Through 2024

Vanna White’s Wheels (and tiles) will keep on turnin’…

The 64-year-old half-Puerto Rican television personality and game show letter-turner and her Wheel of Fortune co-star Pat Sajak have on to continue hosting the show through the 2023-2024 season.

Vanna White

As part of the deal, Sajak has added consulting producer to his responsibilities.

Jim Thornton, who will mark his 10th anniversary as Wheel of Fortune announcer, will get an expanded on-screen presence in the new season, which premieres September 13. At the open of each episode, he will be featured at a new podium on stage as he introduces Sajak and White.

Here are some other changes in store for the upcoming season:

  • In the game show’s digital space, Maggie Sajak, Pat’s daughter, will be joining the show as Social Correspondent across all of Wheel of Fortune’s channels including: http://www.wheeloffortune.com, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok.
  • The set and music have been refreshed for the new season. The Wheel of Fortune theme song, “Changing Keys,” which will return this season with a modernized arrangement.
  • Sajak will no longer do the “Final Spin” of the game. Instead, the contestant in control of the Wheel at the time will spin to determine the amount each consonant is worth during the speed up round.
  • More money will be up for grabs in Season 39 with the removal of the “Free Play” wedge from the Wheel, which was replaced by an $850 wedge. Also, a $4,000 bonus is being added to contestants who solve all three puzzles in the Triple Toss Up Round, making the round worth $10,000. And finally, the minimum amount that can be won on the Bonus Wheel has been upped to $39,000, in honor of the show’s 39th season in syndication.
  • Returning is the show’s annual “Secret Santa Holiday Giveaway.” This popular sweepstakes gives Wheel Watchers Club members the chance to win everything a contestant wins, up to the million-dollar grand prize.

“If you think about it, by doing the “final spin” I, as host, had an impact on the outcome of the game and that has always bothered me because it just didn’t feel right,” said Sajak of the change in play of the game. “With this change, only the contestants determine the outcome of the game and the host does not impose themself in any way.”

After Wheel of Fortune hostess Susan Stafford left the show in October 1982, White was selected as one of three substitute hostesses (along with Vicki McCarty and Summer Bartholomew) to co-host the show. On December 13, 1982, White became the regular hostess. And the rest is herstory.