Edinson Cavani to Join Valencia on Free Transfer

Edinson Cavani is headed to The Capital of the Turia

The 35-year-old Uruguayan professional footballer and former Manchester United striker will join Valencia on free transfer, the Spanish club has announced.

Edinson Cavani,The Uruguay team forward was available after his contract expired earlier in summer after spending the last two seasons at Old Trafford.

Cavani has agreed to sign a two-year contract and will be the reference up-front to Italian manager Gennaro Gattuso.

The former Paris Saint-Germain striker was at Valencia’s Mestalla Stadium to see his new team’s loss to Atletico Madrid 1-0 in the Spanish league on Monday.

Valencia won the race to sign the veteran against Real Sociedad, who are still in the market looking for a replacement for Swedish forward Alexander Isak who was sold last week to Newcastle for a 70 million-euros transfer fee.

Cavani arrived on Monday afternoon to Valencia and talked to the local media before passing medical exams with club doctors and signing his new deal.

“I am happy to be here. I wanted to play in Spain and Valencia were willing to bet on me,” Cavani said.

“I like to be where I’m wanted, where I’m loved because you live off the strength of the fans and the club’s love.

“I talked to coach Gennaro Gattuso and Valencia have given me a lot of confidence, so I hope I can give them my best and leave a good image here.”

Cavani began his career at Danubio in Uruguay before making the jump to Europe in 2007, signing with Palermo.

After four seasons in Sicily, he left for Napoli where he scored 104 goals in 138 matches, being Seria A top-goalscorer in 2012-13.

In 2013 he was signed by Paris Saint-Germain where he played for seven seasons and became the top scorer in the club’s history.

He joined Manchester United in 2020, where he played for the last two seasons.

Barca Femeni Star Jennifer Hermoso Heading to Mexico’s Pachuca

Jennifer Hermoso is headed to Mexico…

Mexican club Pachuca have completed the signing of the 32-year-old Spanish professional soccer player and the 2021 FIFA’s The Best runner-up on a free transfer as she announced her departure from Barcelona.

Jennifer HermosoHermoso, who is Barca Femeni‘s all-time leading scorer with 174 goals, announced she is making the switch to Pachuca after turning down a contract extension at the Camp Nou.

“To have won everything with this jersey is something that I will take with me forever,” Hermoso said in a message posted to Instagram.

“To play in a sold-out stadium, to celebrate a goal at the Camp Nou and to lift high up our first Champions [League]… Now is time for a new adventure that fills me and that make me feel truly valued.”

Hermoso, who has scored a record 45 goals in 91 appearances for Spain, has been ruled out for Euro 2022 after sustaining ligament damage in her right knee and is expected to miss the start of the Liga MX Femenil season, which kicks off on July 12.

Hermoso has won seven league titles during her 18-year career, including five at Barca, who she initially played for between 2013 to 2017 and rejoined in 2019 from Atletico Madrid.

Hermoso was also a crucial part of Barca Femeni’s first European title when they won the Women’s Champions League in 2021.

She has also had spells at Paris Saint-Germain, Rayo Vallecano and Tyreso FF.

Atletico Madrid’s Hector Herrera Acquired by Houston Dynamo on Designated Player Deal

It’s a dynamo-ite time for Hector Herrera

The 31-year-old Mexican soccer player and Mexico international midfielder has been acquired by the Houston Dynamo from Atletico Madrid on a Designated Player deal, according to ESPN sources.

Hector HerreraHerrera will join up with Houston on a free transfer when his contract with Atletico expires in the summer.

The move amounts to the second massive acquisition of general manager Pat Onstad‘s tenure. Earlier this year, thanks to the deep pockets of new owner Ted Segal, Onstad signed Libertad forward Sebastian Ferreira.

In Herrera, Houston has now acquired a well-known El Tri player in a city with deep ties to Mexico, one that should generate a significant uptick in interest for the club.

Herrera’s on-field contribution should be immense as well, providing experience and composure on the ball to a young Houston side.

Herrera broke into the professional ranks in 2010 with Liga MX side Pachuca and went on to make 55 league and cup appearances, scoring two goals. He was soon Europe-bound, signing with Portuguese giants Porto in 2013 for a fee of almost $9 million. He went on to become a mainstay for the Dragons, making 245 league and cup appearances, scoring 35 goals while helping Porto to the 2017-18 Primeira Liga title.

After six seasons with Porto, Herrera moved to LaLiga with Atletico, where he made 71 league and cup appearances, scoring one goal. His contributions helped Atleti claim the 2020-21 LaLiga crown.

At international level, Herrera has been a constant presence for Mexico, making 96 appearances and scoring 10 goals. He was part of the side that won an Olympic gold medal at the 2012 games in London, and took part in the 2014 and 2018 World Cups.

TUDN was the first to report that a deal between the Dynamo and Herrera and been agreed.

Newcastle United Signs Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon

Bruno Guimaraes is crossing the English Channel

Newcastle United has completed the signing of the 24-year-old Brazilian professional footballer from France’s Lyon in a €50.1 million deal.

Bruno GuimaraesIt’s the team’s third signing since being taken over by a consortium led by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund in October.

The move for Guimaraes follows the arrivals of defender Kieran Trippier from Atletico Madrid and striker Chris Wood from Burnley.

The club said in a statement: “Newcastle United are delighted to confirm the signing of Brazil international Bruno Guimaraes on a four-and-a-half-year deal.

“The 24-year-old midfielder joins the Magpies for an undisclosed fee from Lyon, where he has been one of the outstanding performers in Ligue 1 over the past two seasons, and will wear shirt No. 39 — the number of the taxi once driven by his father.”

Lyon said in a statement later on Sunday that the deal was worth €50.1m, including €8m in performance-based clauses, with a 20% sell-on fee.

Sources have told ESPN that Newcastle offered Guimaraes a £120,000-a-week contract — four times his wage at Lyon.

“Bruno is a hugely exciting talent and has been one of our primary targets so I’m delighted to secure him,” manager Eddie Howe said. “He strengthens the group immediately ready for the challenge ahead.

“He has been one of the standout performers in France and is a full international for Brazil so I have no doubt our supporters will really enjoy watching him. We look forward to welcoming him to the club on his return from international duty.”

Guimaraes began his career at Atletico Paranaense before joining Lyon in January 2020 for €21.5m.

The midfielder also has three international caps for Brazil and has been away with Tite‘s squad for their World Cup qualifiers against Ecuador and Paraguay.

https://twitter.com/NUFC/status/1487817981392560128

Hirving “Chucky” Lozano Among Players Called Up by Mexico for World Cup Qualifiers vs. U.S., Canada

Hirving “Chucky” Lozano is getting called up…

The 26-year-old Mexican professional footballer, who plays for Napoli, will headline a strong squad when Mexico faces its last World Cup qualifiers of 2021.

Hirving "Chucky" LozanoLozano will be joined by Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Raul Jimenez and 24 other players by Mexico manager Gerardo “Tata” Martino to face the United States and Canada for two tough road games to close out their 2021 schedule.

El Tri will face the Stars and Stripes on November 12 in Cincinnati before facing off against the Canadians four days later in Edmonton.

In total, Martino named eight Europe-based players to the squad, with Lozano, Jimenez and Porto winger Jesus “Tecatito” Corona once again expected to head Mexico’s attack.

Atletico Madrid‘s Hector Herrera was also recalled, along with veteran central midfielder Andres Guardado (Real Betis).

Edson Alvarez (Ajax), fresh off qualifying to the Round of 16 in the UEFA Champions League, is another star named to Martino’s squad.

Johan Vasquez (Genoa) and Nestor Araujo (Celta Vigo) are expected to anchor the central defense.

Among those who’ll miss out on this window include Betis winger Diego Lainez and Genk defender Gerardo Arteaga. Lainez has been slowly coming back into the fold for Betis after an injury sidelined him for the first months of the season.

Arteaga, on the other hand, has featured regularly for the Belgian side but has reportedly received the ire of Martino for declining a previous call-up. In Arteaga’s absence, Liga MX stars Luis Rodriguez (Tigres) and Jorge Sanchez (Club America) are expected to start in the full-back positions.

Veteran goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa (Club America) heads the goalkeeping position, along with Rodolfo Cota (Leon) and Alfredo Talavera (UNAM).

Other Liga MX-based forwards named to the team include Rogelio Funes Mori (Monterrey) and Henry Martin (Club America).

With 14 points in six matches, Mexico currently sits first in CONCACAF‘s final round of World Cup qualifying, three more than second-place U.S. and four more than Canada.

Alejandro Amenábar “Thesis” to Get English-Language Remake Treatment from Sentient Entertainment 

Alejandro Amenábar is seeing his thesis revisited…

Sentient Entertainment has snagged the English-language remake rights to Thesis, a horror-thriller from the 49-year-old Spanish-Chilean film director, screenwriter, composer and BAFTA Award nominee.

Alejandro Amenábar

Amenábar’s original film won seven Goya Awards and other accolades upon its release in 1996.

The original film centered on Ángela (Ana Torrent), a student writing a thesis about violence, who comes upon a snuff video where a girl is tortured to death, soon discovering that the victim was an alumna of her school.

Sentient acquired control of the rights to Thesis from FilmSharks-owned The Remake Co. and Enrique Cerezo’s VideoMercury, in what’s described as a highly competitive bidding war.

Cerezo, who is the president of European football club Atlético Madrid, originally acquired the film rights when he purchased Sogecine, the Spanish production company formerly owned by Canal Plus.

Sentient’s Renee Tab and Christopher Tuffin will produce the remake with Rud and Aliwen Entertainment’s Lucas Akoskin, with Cerezo exec producing.

“Amenabar was ahead of his time in making Thesis. Our culture has become more fascinated and obsessed with sex and violence than ever. The desensitization of violence in the media has reached an all-time high and to devastating effect,” said Tab. “Through a university campus experience, we want to tell the next generation’s story as authentic as possible, touching on what students today are feeling and suffering in accordance with mental health and the pressures ahead of them. All of this is hidden in a great investigative thriller.”

The full-service management and production company founded by Tab in 2010 also recently acquired rights to Amenábar’s horror-thriller The Others, starring Nicole Kidman, and is developing a remake with Universal Pictures and Aliwen Entertainment’s Akoskin. The original was released by Miramax in 2001, going on to gross more than $200M worldwide.

Radamel Falcao Joins Rayo Vallecano

Radamel Falcao has found his Rayo of light…

The 35-year-old Colombian professional footballer has joined Spain’s Rayo Vallecano on a free transfer after his contract with Galatasaray was terminated.

Falcao joined Gala in 2019 and spent two seasons in Turkey but is best known for his spells with PortoAtletico Madrid and Monaco. He also played for Manchester United and Chelsea on loan.

He is Colombia’s all-time top scorer with 35 goals in 91 appearances and has won the Europa League with Porto and Atletico, as well as winning Ligue 1 with Monaco.

Rayo, who face Levante in LaLiga play on September 10, have lost two and won one of their opening three league games of the season.

Saul Niguez Headed to Chelsea F.C. On Loan from Atletico Madrid

Saul Niguez is headed to the United Kingdom…

Chelsea F.C. has completed a deal to sign the 26-year-old Spanish soccer player from Atletico Madrid on loan for the season, the two clubs announced on Tuesday.

Saul Niguez

The deal contains an option to buy next summer for a set fee, according to sources.

The deal was thrown into doubt as the transfer hadn’t been confirmed by either club before the midnight CET deadline.

Local media said the delay was caused by a problem with LaLiga‘s transfer registration system, however, and the documentation had been correctly submitted in time.

“We welcome Saul to the Club and believe he completes our squad as we compete for honours in five different competitions this season,” Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said.

“He is a proven winner, a player with huge experience and we know he will be very well-suited to the challenges that face us on all fronts in the coming year.”

ESPN recently reported Chelsea were in talks with Saul, while Manchester United were also interested in the Spain midfielder, who has spent the last 13 years at Atletico after coming through the club’s youth ranks.

However, United opted against pursuing a deal, leaving the path clear for Chelsea to make their second major signing of the summer after Romelu Lukaku joined from Inter Milan in a €115 million deal.

Earlier in the summer, sources told ESPN, Saul had been offered to Barcelona in a proposed swap deal with Antoine Griezmann but the two parties were unable to agree a deal.

Diego Costa Signs with Brazilian Club Atletico Mineiro

Diego Costa is mining new opportunities…

The 32-year-old Brazilian Spanish soccer player has signed with Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro, with the Spain international player set to return to action after eight months.

Diego Costa,

Costa, a former Atletico Madrid and Chelsea striker, had been without a club since December following his departure from Atletico Madrid after the LaLiga champions agreed to the Brazil-born player’s request to rescind his contract.

It was his second spell at Atletico Madrid, having earlier played for the club from 2010-14.

In the 2013-14 season, Costa helped Atletico to the Spanish title with 27 goals and they also reached the Champions League final but lost 4-1 to rivals Real Madrid in extra-time after Costa was forced off early with a hamstring injury.

Costa joined Chelsea in 2014 and was an instant hit, firing the London club to the 2014-15 and 2016-17 Premier League titles with 20 goals in each campaign.

He returned to Atletico Madrid in January 2018 but injuries limited him to 43 LaLiga starts in three years as he scored 12 goals, and opportunities were further limited by the signings of Joao Felix and Luis Suarez.

The enigmatic striker joins Atletico Mineiro, who defeated second-placed Palmeiras 2-0 earlier on Saturday and extended their lead at the top of Brazil’s Serie A to five points.

Sergio Aguero Finalizing Deal with FC Barcelona

Sergio Aguero could be switching sides very soon…

FC Barcelona is finalizing the signing of the 32-year-old Argentine professional footballer on a free transfer this summer, according to ESPN.

Sergio Aguero

Barca have offered Aguero a two-year contract and sources say the Argentina international could arrive to the Camp Nou after the Champions League final between Manchester City and Chelsea on May 29.

Aguero, who will turn 33 next month, has agreed to considerably reduce his wages and will join as a free agent once his contract with Manchester City expires on June 30.

Barca have been looking for a No. 9 since Luis Suarez‘s departure to Atletico Madrid last summer.

Club president Joan Laporta sees Aguero’s potential arrival as a great opportunity for Barca because of the former Atletico star’s experience and that no transfer fee is required.

Barca came close to signing Aguero in 2014 but decided instead to acquire Suarez.

Aguero has other important offers on the table, and his willingness to lower his wages to arrive to the Camp Nou is valued by the club, according to a source.

Barca are convinced that in the short term, Aguero will outperform Martin Braithwaite, who has scored seven goals this season. The Denmark international is expected to be placed on the transfer list this summer.

Barca also believe that Aguero’s signing would help persuade his friend and Argentina teammate Lionel Messi to renew his contract.

Messi, whose contract expires next month, has yet to sign a new deal with Barca.