Arsenal F.C. Completes Signing of Gabriel Jesus from Manchester City

It’s official… Gabriel Jesus is headed to Arsenal.

Arsenal F.C. has completed the signing of the 25-year-old Brazilian professional footballer from Manchester City, both clubs and the player have announced.

Gabriel JesusESPN had previously reported that Arsenal were confident of landing the Brazil international amid rival interest from Tottenham Hotspur.

Arsenal will pay £45 million plus a further £10 million in add-ons to sign the striker, according to sources.

Jesus will wear Arsenal’s No. 9 shirt.

“It’s been a pleasure to play for Manchester City,” Jesus said. “I feel like I am a better player now than when I arrived — and to win 11 trophies has been amazing.

“My four Premier League titles are particularly special for me. I want to thank everyone at City — the manager, my teammates and the fans — for all the support they have given me over the past 5½ years.”

As Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta added, “I’m very excited. The club has done a tremendous job to recruit a player of this stature. I know Gabriel personally very well, and we all know him well from his time in the Premier League and being really successful here.”

“This is a position that’s been on our radar for a long time now, and we have managed to get a player that we all wanted, so I’m really happy.”

Arsenal, who have already signed midfielder Fabio Vieira and United States goalkeeper Matt Turner, are looking to strengthen after missing out on Champions League football.

Arteta’s side were in need of a striker after Alexandre Lacazette returned to Lyon on a free transfer this summer while Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang joined Barcelona for free in January.

Jesus, who had only one year remaining on his contract at City, contributed 13 goals and 12 assists in all competitions for the Premier League champions last season, and the 25-year-old can play in all attacking positions.

In total, he scored 95 goals in 236 matches for City.

Luis Diaz Agrees to Contract with Liverpool

Luis Diaz is switching sides…

Liverpool has completed the signing of the 25-year-old Colombian professional footballer from Porto despite strong interest from Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.

Luis Diaz

The deal is subject to Diaz agreeing a work permit.

Diaz was Jurgen Klopp‘s primary target for the summer transfer window, according to ESPN sources, but the club brought forward their plans to sign the winger when Spurs opened talks with Porto last week. Sources added that Diaz has signed a contract until 2027 at the club.

“I could not be happier that we’ve been able to get this deal done and bring Luis to Liverpool,” Klopp said.

“I have always been a believer in only signing players in January if you would want to sign them in the summer, and that’s very much the case with Luis.

“He is an outstanding player and someone we’ve been tracking for a very long time.

“This team deserved to add quality and when we played against Luis earlier this season, we saw what a danger he is, how fast he is and how his mentality was to help his team.

“We know Porto is an outstanding club who nurture players in the best possible way and provide a brilliant football education. They are a class club and, I have to say, have been tough negotiators.”

Liverpool faced a host of logistical issues in signing Diaz, who is in South America with the Colombia squad for their World Cup qualifiers against Peru and Argentina, but were able to complete the deal ahead of the by the 11:00 pm GMT (5:00 pm ET) transfer deadline on Monday.

Diaz requires a work permit to enter the United Kingdom and therefore will unlikely arrive in Liverpool until the end of next week at the earliest.

“We also have to say thank you to the Colombia FA for being so helpful in allowing us the time to complete this deal,” Klopp added. “They have a big game on Tuesday and I know as well as anyone how important preparation is for matches, so for them to allow us a few hours to finalise the transfer without impacting their training was greatly appreciated.

“I also must make clear my appreciation to our ownership and football operations team for how they have managed to act so decisively to get this done.

“Luis is a player we believe will make us better now and in the future. He is the player we really wanted and they’ve made it happen, so I am very happy.”

The winger has been in fine form for Porto this season, scoring 14 goals in 18 games in Portugal’s Primeira Liga, as well as scoring twice in this season’s Champions League group stage.

Diaz joined Porto from Colombian side Atletico Junior in 2019 and has made 125 appearances, scoring 41 goals and registering 20 assists.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1487756795544223746

Barcelona Complete On-Loan Signing of Adama Traore with Wolverhampton Wanderers

Adama Traore is headed home to Spain…

Barcelona has completed the signing of the 26-year-old Spanish professional footballer, a winger for Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Adama TraoreTraore will be on loan to Barca  until the end of the season, the club has announced.

Tottenham Hotspur had been in talks with Wolves for some time, sources previously told ESPN, with boss Antonio Conte eyeing Traore as a possible wing-back option in his preferred 3-4-3 formation.

While it is understood the winger harbored some reservations about that role, sources have told ESPN the bigger issue was a failure of both clubs to agree a fee with Spurs reluctant to pay much beyond £20 million.

Traore returns to Camp Nou after nearly seven years away, having come through the club’s youth academy.

He becomes Barca‘s third signing in the January transfer window following the arrivals of Dani Alves and Ferran Torres.

If Barca decide to sign Traore in the summer, the fee could be negotiated if Wolves also exercise a clause to make Francisco Trincao‘s move permanent.

The Premier League side has an option to sign the Portuguese attacker, who is on a season-long loan from Barca, for €30m at the end of the season.

Both players are represented by Jorge Mendes, who also oversaw Nelson Semedo‘s €30m move from Barcelona to Wolves in 2020.

Traore has won eight international caps for Spain since making his debut in 2020. He was part of Luis Enrique‘s squad for Euro 2020 last summer as La Roja reached the semifinal, where they were eliminated by eventual winners Italy on penalties.

Erik Lamela Wins FIFA’s Puskas Award

Erik Lamela is celebrating his award-winning rabona

The 29-year-old Argentine professional footballer, who plays as an attacking midfielder or winger for La Liga club Sevilla and the Argentina national team, has won this year’s Puskas Award.

Erik Lamela

Lamela earned the award for his “rabona” for Tottenham Hotspur against Arsenal.

Meanwhile, Bayern Munich forward Robert Lewandowski equaled Cristiano Ronaldo‘s FIFA The Best record when he won the award for a second time on Monday.

The Bayern Munich forward retained his FIFA The Best award following an incredible campaign in which he scored a Bundesliga record 41 goals, fighting off competition from Lionel Messi and Mohamed Salah.

Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel claimed the Manager of the Year award following success in the Champions League in 2021.

Chelsea and Senegal‘s Edouard Mendy won the Goalkeeper of the Year award.

Denmark team and staff won the Fair Play award following their reaction to Christian Eriksen‘s cardiac arrest at Euro 2020. Denmark and Finland fans also received the Best Fan award for their spontaneous unified chanting in support of Eriksen after he was taken off the pitch.

The award was first handed out in its present guise in 2016, after FIFA ended their five-year partnership with the Ballon d’Or. Ronaldo, who was given a special award for breaking the international men’s goal scoring record in 2021, won back-to-back awards in the first two years.

Meanwhile, Messi and part-Brazilian player Jorginho were named to the FIFA FIFPro Men’s World XI team.

FIFA FIFPro Men’s World XI
Gianluigi Donnarumma – Paris Saint-Germain, Italy
David Alaba – Real Madrid, Austria
Ruben Dias – Manchester City, Portugal
Leonardo Bonucci – Juventus, Italy
Jorginho – Chelsea, Italy
N’Golo Kante – Chelsea, France
Kevin De Bruyne – Manchester City, Belgium
Cristiano Ronaldo – Manchester United, Portugal
Erling Haaland – Borussia Dortmund, Norway
Robert Lewandowski – Bayern Munich, Poland
Lionel Messi – Paris Saint-Germain, Argentina

Barcelona midfielder Alexia Putellas won the women’s award.

Tottenham Hotspur’s Erik Lamela Wins Premier League Goal of the Season Award

Erik Lamela is celebrating a big kick

The 29-year-old Argentine professional footballer, who plays as an attacking midfielder or winger for Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur and the Argentina National Team, has picked up the Premier League Goal of the Season for his sublime rabona against Arsenal in March.

Erik Lamela

Despite Lamela’s effort, Tottenham Hotspur lost the match 2-1.

Lamela’s goal finished ahead of strikes from Edinson Cavani, Manuel Lanzini and Sebastien Haller.

Lamela’s rabona — the second of his Tottenham career — was simply sublime.

Sergio Reguilon cushioned a volley into Lucas Moura, who laid the ball off to Lamela inside the Arsenal box. Lamela then struck a first-time rabona with his left foot, which went through the legs of Thomas Partey and into the far corner.

That goal opened the scoring for Tottenham in March’s north London derby, but was cancelled out just before halftime by a Martin Odegaard strike.

Alexandre Lacazette then put Arsenal ahead with a 64-minute penalty and Tottenham’s misery was compounded when Lamela was sent off 12 minutes later.

James Rodriguez Leaving Real Madrid for Everton FC

James Rodriguez is officially headed to the England…

The 29-year-old Colombian soccer player has joined Everton FC from Real Madrid, the Premier League club has announced.

James Rodriguez

The clubs have agreed a €25 million fee, according to ESPN. The deal will officially be for two years with an option for a third.

This is the third time Rodriguez has linked up with coach Carlo Ancelotti, having worked together at Real Madrid during the 2014-15 season and Bayern Munich in the 2017-18 season.

“I am really, really happy to be at this great club, a club with so much history, and here with a manager who knows me really well,” James told the Everton’s website.

“I’m looking forward to achieving great things here — and winning things, which is what everyone’s aim is. I’ve come here to try to improve, to get better. I’ve also come here to help the team to win, to play good football — entertaining football.”

Ancelotti’s presence at Goodison Park is understood to have been critical in getting a deal done.

“James… is a fantastic player with a lot of quality and a lot of ability to make assists for the strikers,” Ancelotti said.

“He was really excited to sign and I didn’t spend time to convince him — he was already convinced.”

Rodriguez is Everton’s second major signing in the close-season following the arrival of Brazilian midfielder Allan from Napoli.

Everton finished 12th last term and begin their new Premier League campaign with a trip to Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

Rodriguez was desperate to leave the Bernabeu this summer to restart his career after a disappointing final season in La Liga.

James had been given permission by Real Madrid to skip preseason training last week as the move was being finalized.

The playmaker signed with Real Madrid from AS Monaco for €80m in 2014 after excelling at the World Cup.

Real Madrid’s Dani Ceballos to Join Arsenal on Season-Long Loan

Dani Ceballosis weaponizing…

The 22-year-old Spanish professional footballer has agreed to join Arsenal on a season-long loan with the Gunners expected to finalize the terms of the agreement with Real Madrid soon, according to ESPN FC.

Dani Ceballos

Tottenham HotspurSevilla and AC Milan also tried to sign the midfielder but different sources told ESPN FCthat Unai Emery has been decisive in Ceballos accepting Arsenal’s proposal even though they won’t participate in the Champions League this season.

Another key factor in Ceballos’ decision was Arsenal’s flexibility to accept a personal loans deal without an option to buy as opposed to the Spurs‘ insistence on a permanent deal being an eventual feature of any deal they made.

Ceballos has failed to establish himself at Madrid since joining from Real Betis in 2017, but club sources trust that this loan will help him to earn “regular time” and prove why Real Madrid “made a big gamble” on him in the summer of 2017.

Ceballos caught the attention of Milan, Tottenham, Sevilla and Arsenal after helping Spainwin the European Under-21 Championshipearlier in the summer.

Ceballos wanted to leave on loan to find regular playing time and decided the Premier Leaguewas the best place to continue his development.

Tottenham looked the favorites but sources close to Emery said he has been “key” in the decision as the Arsenal manager is ready to “to give him regular game time to prove his worth” and to “give him freedom to shape the game in the midfield.”

The agreement between clubs is also on track and several media outlets in Spain are even claiming that that the player could undergo his medical exams this week before travelling to USA to join Arsenal in their preseason tour.

Robinho Reportedly Joining Chinese Club Guangzhou Evergrande

It looks like Robinho is headed to Asia…

The 31-year-old Brazilian soccer player, known for his ball control, attacking instinct and dribbling, is reportedly set to join former Seleção Brasileira de Futebol coach Luiz Felipe Scolari at Chinese champions Guangzhou Evergrande, according to Brazilian media.

Robinho

The news comes as Robinho wrapped up his third spell at Santos Futebol Clube.

The former Real Madrid, Manchester City and AC Milan attacker, known for his elaborate stepovers, said he was hopeful of returning to Santos in the future after the club said they couldn’t afford to match the offers from overseas.

“Unfortunately it will not be possible to renew my contract. But Santos FC will always be in my heart,” Robinho said in a statement.

“FC Santos will go great, because it is above any player. I will try to remain happy doing what I like best, which is play football and hopefully one day return.”

Brazil media said Robinho, who was part of the Brazil side that exited the Copa America on Thursday following a quarterfinal penalty shootout defeat by Paraguay, would be joining four-times reigning Chinese champions Guangzhou.

The Chinese club appointed 2002 World Cup winning coach Scolari earlier this month after sacking Italian Fabio Cannavaro after less than half a season in charge.

Scolari has been quick to make changes and signed Brazilian midfielder Paulinho from English outfit Tottenham Hotspur on Monday for a reported fee of around $15 million.

Willian Agrees to Five-Year Deal with Chelsea

Willian Borges da Silva’s move could be called a case of “From Russia with Love”…

The 25-year-old Brazilian soccer star, commonly known as Willian, has signed a five-year contract with Chelsea.

Willian

“I’m very happy to be here, it’s been a dream of mine to come and play here,” the Blues’ latest addition said in comments posted on Chelsea’s official Web site.

The attacking midfielder was picked up from Russia’s Anzhi Makhachkala for 32 million pounds ($49.6 million).

The Chelsea faithful got a good look at Willian in 2012, when he scored two goals for visiting Shakhtar Donetsk in a Champions League clash at Stamford Bridge.

Shakhtar sent Willian to Anzhi Makhachkala in January for a transfer fee of 35 million euros ($47 million).

Tottenham Hotspur brought Willian to London earlier this week for a medical ahead of Spurs’ expected signing of the star, but Chelsea snatched the midfielder away from their Premier League rivals.

Willian is Chelsea’s fourth acquisition during the summer transfer window, which closes September 2, and Blues manager Jose Mourinho signaled last week that the club was still in the market for new talent.

On Tuesday, Mourinho gave Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney 48 hours to decide if he wants to leave Old Trafford from Stamford Bridge.

Villa Moving from Barcelona to Atletico Madrid

David Villa is switching teams…

The 31-year-old Spanish international soccer star will be leaving Futbol Club Barcelona to play for Atletico Madrid.

David Villa

It’s all part of a deal potentially worth $6.55 million, according to Barça officials.

Copa del Rey winner Atletico will pay the defending La Liga champion 2.1 million euros this season, with the promise of another 2.1 million if Villa continues to play in 2014-2015, Barcelona said in a statement.

Atletico will have to hand over an additional 1 million euros if Villa remains with the club into the 2015-2016 season.

Barcelona also retains a claim to 50 percent of any future transfer fee for Villa.

With 56 goals in 92 appearances, Villa is Spain’s leading scorer in international play, despite his missing the 2012 European Championship due to an injury.

He was an integral part of the Spanish squad that won Euro 2008 and the 2010 World Cup.

Villa joined Barça in 2010 and kicked 48 goals in 119 official matches with the club, but he had a hard time getting back into the starting lineup after the broken leg he suffered in 2011 kept him off the pitch for months.

Barcelona’s recent signing of Brazilian sensation Neymar left Villa’s future with the red-and-blue even cloudier.

Premier League clubs Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United were said to be interested in Villa, but Atletico – anxious to replace departed striker Radamel Falcao – beat the English sides to the negotiating table.

Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are to meet next month in the Spanish Supercup.