Sergio Perez Expected to Extend Contract with Red Bull

Sergio Pérez is staying in the red

The 34-year-old Mexican motorsports racing driver remains the front-runner to stay with Red Bull in 2025, per ESPN sources.

Sergio PerezPérez, whose contract expires at the end of 2024, endured a tough weekend at the Monaco Grand Prix, qualifying 18th before being involved in a collision on the first lap.

Red Bull has been in no rush to make a decision about his future, with Carlos Sainz still yet to decide what he does next year when Lewis Hamilton replaces him at Ferrari.

Sainz is reportedly monitoring the situation at Red Bull before committing to either Williams or Sauber (which will become Audi in 2026), with the long-term future of Max Verstappen also uncertain beyond 2025.

Verstappen, who has doubts about Red Bull’s 2026 engine project, has been linked with a move to Mercedes for that season, which is the start of a new set of regulations.

However, it looks unlikely Red Bull opt for Sainz at this stage. Multiple sources have told ESPN that Red Bull still favor Pérez and that only a drastic drop in form over the next few races could change that situation, which lines up with team boss Christian Horner‘s comments to the media after the Monaco Grand Prix.

“This weekend’s been pretty brutal for him,” Horner said on Sunday. “Obviously we need to make sure that we have got both cars up there scoring points, because we cannot dismiss the threat of Ferrari and McLaren in both championships.

“Checo’s first six races, he was very strong, qualifying on the front row and finishing second and third and scoring very well. We just need to get back into that position of confidence and not to see a dip.”

Asked if Pérez’s last few results have delayed a decision, Horner said: “Not really. I think that it’s more our timing. We’ll make a decision in the fullness of time.”

Until Red Bull decides what to do with Pérez, it is likely Williams and Audi will be waiting on Sainz.

Audi is overseeing negotiations at Sauber, having brought forward its investment in the team earlier this year.

Audi has already signed Nico Hülkenberg to its project and is understood to be considering back-up options in case Sainz goes elsewhere, although the company’s might find it difficult to find another marquee signing with race-winning pedigree.

Williams have been in talks with Sainz ever since Ferrari decided to replace him with Lewis Hamilton next year and over the Monaco Grand Prix it emerged they are increasingly confident of securing his services from 2025 onwards.

Carlos Sainz Claims First Career Formula One Victory at British Grand Prix

Carlos Sainz has found the winning formula

The 27-year-old Spanish racing driver has claimed his first Formula One victory ahead of Sergio Perez and Lewis Hamilton at a rollercoaster and action-packed British Grand Prix.

Carlos Sainz,The race, one of the best of the season so far, included a dramatic crash at the start which saw Zhou Guanyu‘s car flipped over tire barrier, protesters forcing their way onto the track on the opening lap and championship leader Max Verstappen dropping down the order with a damaged car.

Sainz’s chances of a first win appeared to have completely disappeared at two different points in the race, first after a big mistake at Becketts and then after he obeyed a team order to let teammate Charles Leclerc through on Lap 32 of 52.

A late Safety Car and race restart 10 laps later provided a perfect opportunity for Sainz to reclaim the lead and scamper away with the win as an unbelievable finish unfolded in the battle for second behind him between Perez, Hamilton and Leclerc.

“Yes! We did it! Yes! Vamos!” Sainz shouted over the radio after crossing the line, securing his first win in 151 F1 attempts.

Home favorite Hamilton had looked in a perfect position to challenge the Ferraris of Leclerc and Sainz for his first victory of the season until that Safety Car deployment and immediately lost position to Perez at the restart.

An epic battle for second and third then unfolded between Perez, Hamilton and Leclerc, featuring multiple position changes and some aggressive driving from all three drivers.

On lap 48, Perez forced Leclerc wide at the final corner, allowing Hamilton up into second. Several corners later, Perez forced Hamilton wide to reclaim the position and the Mercedes driver fell behind Leclerc.

Leclerc turned in some incredible defensive driving to keep Hamilton at bay for as long as he could in the closing stages but in the end could not do anything about the major tyre disadvantage he had been left with at the Safety Car restart.

For Hamilton it was his second visit to the podium in two races and a clear sign of the progress Mercedes has made in recent races.

Leclerc had to settle for fourth position, having lost a rare opportunity to make a bigger dent in Verstappen’s championship lead.

Verstappen finished seventh after holding off Haas’ Mick Schumacher in the run to the finish line.

Verstappen still holds a healthy lead in the championship, 34 points ahead of teammate Perez and 43 ahead of Leclerc.

Sainz’s win moved him ahead of George Russell, who did not finish, and into fourth position in the title fight.

The events of the first 10 seconds of the race set the tone for the dramatic afternoon which followed.

Alfa Romeo rookie Zhou Gaunyu was vaulted into a terrifying barrel roll at Turn 1 which left his car upside down in the tire barrier and prompted a red flag race suspension.

Zhou had been tagged by the Mercedes of George Russell, who in turn had been hit by Pierre Gasly‘s AlphaTauri.

Russell’s race ended in the gravel trap at Turn 1, while Alex Albon was also spun into the wall at Turn 1.

Gasly was later spun around by teammate Yuki Tsunoda.

All those incidents opened up a perfect opportunity for Haas to bounce back from a deflating Saturday which had seen both drivers eliminated in Q1, as Schumacher finally claimed the first F1 points of his career.

An emotional Schumacher apologized to Haas after finishing after swearing over the radio as he celebrated the finish.

Teammate Kevin Magnussen claimed the final points paying position of the afternoon in 10th.

Massa to Come Out of Formula One Retirement & Return to Williams

Felipe Massa won’t stop revving up as originally planned…

The 35-year-old Brazilian former Formula One racing driver has agreed to a deal to come out of retirement and return to Williams as Valtteri Bottas‘ replacement, according to multiple reports.

Felipe Massa

Massa had planned to retire from Formula One following this year’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and received an emotional send off at his home race in Brazil last month.

However, a surprise return in 2017 would answer the biggest question hanging over F1 today by paving the way for former teammate Bottas to replace retiring world champion Nico Rosberg at Mercedes.

Bottas currently tops Mercedes’ wishlist, but his 2017 Williams contract has so far prevented a straight switch to the world champions. Williams has been reluctant to let him go amid fears it will destabilize the team under next year’s new regulations, but Massa’s return would provide the continuity the technical side of the team is looking for.

A report on Brazil’s Grande Premio website said Massa signed a contract last Monday that gives Williams an option on his services if Mercedes goes ahead with the Bottas deal. Massa would partner with 18-year-old rookie Lance Stroll, who joins the team off the back of championship success in Formula 3.

Last week deputy team principal Claire Williams said she would only let Bottas go if a credible replacement can be found in time. That sparked rumours that Massa could return, with the Brazilian driver posting a cryptic tweet ahead of a family holiday on Friday.

If Massa does return next year it will be his 15th season in Formula One and his fourth consecutive year racing for Williams.

Alonso Prevails at the Chinese Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso has raced his way to another Formula One victory…

The 31-year-old Spanish Formula One racing driver, who currently races for Ferrari, proved to be the gran campeón at the Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai on Sunday, winning the third race of the year on the F1 circuit.

Fernando Alonso

“The whole weekend has been unbelievable. The race was fantastic from start to finish,” said Alonso.

The two-time Formula One champion beat Lotus’ Finnish driver Kimi Raikkonen and Mercedes’ British driver Lewis Hamilton, who had to settle for second and third place, respectively.

“We didn’t have any problems, the tires wore out less than expected and after the withdrawal in Malaysia we took a second (place in Australia) and a first, so we have started well. I’m optimistic,” said Alonso.

Fernando Alonso

Alonso, who won his last race at the 2012 German Grand Prix, covered 56 laps totaling 189 miles in 1:36:26.945.

The fourth Grand Prix race of the season will take place next weekend in Bahrain.

In all, El Nano, as he’s nicknamed, has a total of 31 career race wins.