María Elena Salinas to Give Keynote Address During NAHJ’s Virtual Graduation Celebration

María Elena Salinas is hoping to inspire this year’s graduates…

The National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) will host a virtual graduation celebration on June 6 to commemorate the organization’s graduating college seniors, and the 65-year-old broadcast journalist, news anchor and author will give the keynote address.

Maria Elena Salinas

Following social distancing recommendations dictated by the CDC, graduations across the country to date have been altered, canceled, postponed or held virtually.

The nation’s largest association for Hispanic journalists will honor NAHJ member college graduates on Saturday, June 6 at 1:00 pm ET.  

Multiple commencement addresses will be given by industry leaders in the field to share advice and words of inspiration to the Class of 2020.

In addition to Salinas, who is considered the “Voice of Hispanic America,” students will also hear from Maria HinojosaJosé Díaz-BalartFin GómezRobert HernandezObed Manuel-EstradaJoy Diaz and more. 

“Our mission is to help the professional advancement of Hispanics in the news industry,” said Alberto B. Mendoza, NAHJ Executive Director. “We focus heavily on our students and are committed to being there from the beginning of their careers. 


Young journalists play an essential role in the field. On June 6, NAHJ invites all community members to join and watch this memorable event.

Fred Signs Two-Year Contract with Former Team Fluminense FC

Fred is pedaling his way back… 

The 36-year old professional soccer striker, whose full name is Frederico Chaves Guedes, is leaving Cruzeiro to return to his previous team Fluminense FC,and he’s announced plans to cycle the 600 kilometers to join his new club.

Fred

Fred signed a two-year contract with Fluminense over the weekend and a day later announced he was setting off with a support team on a charity cycle from Belo Horizonte to Rio de Janeiro.

“The objective is to receive hampers of basic foodstuffs for 4,000 families on this trip to the Fluminense training center that I am starting today,” Fred said on Instagram, where he has 2.6 million followers.

“I am counting on you during this solidarity trip. I’m cycling and you are donating from your homes and we’re all in this together for a bigger cause.”

Fred, who became the third highest scorer in Fluminense’s history in his previous spell between 2009 and 2016, left Cruzeiro, who were relegated to Brazil’s Serie B last season.

Brazilian football was suspended in March and the state championships have yet to restart, while some Rio clubs resumed non-contact training on Monday.

Albert Ramon Named Chief Meteorologist at WGN America’s “News Nation”

Albert Ramon is movin’ on up…

News Nation, the three-hour prime-time block of live news debuting September 1 on WGN America, has set its on-air talent lineup, with the Latino meteorologist making the grade.

Albert Ramon

Anchoring weeknight broadcasts from 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm will be Joe Donlon and Marni Hughes, accompanied by breaking news anchor Rob Nelson and Ramon as the chief meteorologist. 

A Texas native, Ramon previously worked as part of the KVUE Storm Team since October 2009. He has earned the Seal of Approval from both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association. He has also received the Texas Associated Press award for Best Weathercast.

Nexstar Media Group, which took control of WGN America after its $4.1 billion acquisition of Tribune Media in 2019, announced plans for the news overhaul several months ago. The company is aiming to leverage its leading station group portfolio as well as the carriage of WGN America in 75 million pay-TV homes to provide an alternative news outlet that it bills as being free of bias. 

News viewership has been surging in 2020 and the fall election is apt to continue the trend. In the years leading up to the Nexstar deal, WGN America’s programming lineup was defined by prestige dramas like Underground and Manhattan.

“Our on-air anchors and reporters, as well as those guiding the off-camera news-gathering process, are

award-winning journalists who understand the importance of being objective,” said Sean Compton,

EVP of WGN America. “They reflect the diversity of our country and will be the backbone of News Nation, as WGN America begins charting a new course in television news, designed for the millions of viewers across the U.S. who want their news to be accurate, fair and without opinion.”

Jennifer Lyons, a former WGN news director in Chicago, is overseeing News Nation as VP of News for WGN America.

Barcelona Expresses Interest in Eric Garcia

There’s growing interest in Eric Garcia… 

Futbol Club Barcelona has enquired about the 19-year-old Spanish footballer’s situation at Manchester City as they line up a potential move to bring the defender back to Camp Nou, according to ESPN.

Eric Garcia

Manchester City was quick to knock back Barca‘s initial approach, with high-ranking executives at the English club making it clear that Garcia isn’t for sale. 

Team manager Pep Guardiola is especially fond of Garcia and, while ManCity hope to sign a new centerback this summer, they also want to keep him involved as part of the first-team squad.

However, there is also an understanding at the club that the uncertainty over Guardiola’s long-term future could become a problem at some point. Players are also in the dark and with two years left on his contract, Garcia is in a strong negotiating position.

This provoked Barca to ask about his availability during recent talks between the two clubs regarding a possible swap deal involving right-backs Nelson Semedo and Joao Cancelo.

Garcia was considered one of the brightest prospects in Barca’s La Masia academy when he decided to leave in 2017 to join Premier League champions Manchester City,

Guardiola handed him his full debut in a League Cup game against Leicester in 2018 and he has made 11 appearances this season, starting twice in the league and once in the Champions League.

He’s also been capped five times by Spain under-21s and Barca have followed his development closely since he left three years ago.

A number of different sources at Barca said the club view Garcia as a “good fit” centerback for the team’s style of football. He was brought up on the club’s philosophy and one of his major strengths is his ability on the ball.

Barca, who missed out on Matthijs de Ligt to Juventus last summer, have been searching for a central defender for a long time as they contemplate a future without Gerard Pique, who turned 33 in February.

Manchester City’s reluctance to sell makes a move for Garcia this summer unlikely, especially as Barca expect to be less active in the transfer market due to the effects the coronavirus pandemic has had on their budget. They will focus on their main target, Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez, and will not have money left over to invest elsewhere.

But sources tell ESPN that Barca will not give up on Barcelona native Garcia in the long-term and will continue to monitor his situation as he moves into the final two years of his contract at the Etihad Stadium.

Edward James Olmos Developing Several Projects on the Life & Work of Tito Puente

Edward James Olmos is celebrating a Latin music legend.

The 73-year-old Mexican American actor, director, producer, and activist has teamed up with Tito Puente’s familia to bring the story of the legendary Puerto Rican musician to the world in a series of projects, including film, television and VR content.

Edward James Olmos

Known as the “King of Mambo,” Puente was a six-time Grammy winner, and received many other accolades before he died in 2000.

Olmos is working with Puente’s son, Tito Puente Jr., producer/writer Damon Whitaker, music artist/producer David Guzman, and his own son, director/producer Michael D. Olmos, to bring the projects to life.

The Olmos team will be producing the project alongside Whitaker and Guzman, with Tito Jr. advising throughout the process. 

The team is developing a docuseries featuring never-before-seen images and footage from the family’s estate to create a feature film that focuses on Puente’s struggle to bring Latin music to the mainstream. 

A VR musical experience and a tribute album with contemporary artists covering classic Tito Puente songs are also on the pipeline. 

“We are thrilled to finally have the story of Tito Puente come to life, thanks to the vision of Mr. Olmos and his team. The history of Tito Puente through his extensive career and timeless music will be told and shared with fans of all generations young and old,” said Tito Puente Jr. “We hope to inspire audiences around the world with his story and his rich musical legacy. Eddie is a huge fan of my dad’s music and was the one who gave the eulogy at my dad’s funeral.”

Born in the barrios of New York City, Puente served in the military and went to Juilliard on the G.I. Bill, and fought for the rights of his fellow Afro Latin and African American musicians to play alongside him in segregated clubs.

“This will be the greatest Tito Puente experience ever. I want this story to celebrate life and hope, especially in these dark times,” said Olmos. “Tito’s story is timeless because it shows the entire world that you can start from humble beginnings, but through your passion, discipline and hard work — and a great sense of humor — you can still change the world.”

Olmos is best known for his television roles on Miami ViceBattlestar Galactica and Mayans MC, and his film roles in Stand and Deliver, American Me and Selena.

Colman Domingo Running for the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences’ Board of Governors

Colman Domingo is ready to represent…

The 50-year-old Afro-Guatemalan American Broadway and television/film actor has thrown his hat in the ring as a candidate for the 2020 Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences’ Board of Governors

Colman Domingo

Domingo, who appeared on AMC’s Fear the Walking Dead, is among the candidates in the Actors category.

In the Writing branch, Gregory Nava is in the running. The 71-year-old Mexican/Spanish American writer and filmmaker’s former projects include El Norte, Selena and Bordertown.

The winner in each branch will be chosen directly from these entries rather than whittling it down to four finalists in each, as has been done in the past.

The winners for the 17 open slots on the 54-member board will be chosen by preferential balloting, just like Best Picture race at the Oscars. Voting is underway with ballots due back June 5.

The Actors branch is the largest in the Academy and has drawn the biggest field of contenders for the one spot available. Domingo is running against incumbent governor Whoopi Goldberg and past governor Ed Begley Jr.

Here’s the full list of nominees by branch (* = incumbent):

Actors
Michael Lee Aday
Ed Begley, Jr
Robert Carradine
Nicolas Coster
Colman Domingo
Richard Dreyfuss
Spencer Garrett
Bruce Glover
Whoopi Goldberg*
James Keach
Stacy Keach
Peter Kwong
Jodi Long
Tim Matheson
Joe Pantoliano
Lou Diamond Phillips
Andrea Riseborough
Andrew Stevens
Rita Wilson

Cinematographers
Kerry Barden
Richard Hicks
Margery Simkin
Debra Zane
Andrzej Bartkowiak
Richard P Crudo
Svetlana Cvetko
Steven Fierberg
Michael Goi
Janusz Kaminski
Newton Thomas Sigel
Eric Steelberg
Kees Van Oostrum
Amelia Vincent
Roy Wagner
Mandy Walker*

Costume Designers
Molly Maginnis
Judianna Makovsky
Isis Mussenden*
Rita Ryack

Directors
Niki Caro
Scott Cooper
Ava DuVernay
Reginald Hudlin
Kasi Lemmons
Michael Mann
Philippe Mora
Kimberly Peirce*
Brett Ratner
Peyton Reed
Jason Reitman
Frances-Anne Solomon
Lewis Teague

Documentary
Kate Amend*
Geralyn Dreyfous
Karen Goodman
Lauren Greenfield
Tom Neff

Executives
Pam Abdy
Victoria Alonso
Michael W Barker
Thomas Bernard
Mark C Canton
Erica Huggins
David Linde*
Mike Medavoy
James W Morris
Gianni Nunnari
Stephen Strick
Patrick Wachsberger

Film Editors
Mark Helfrich
Michael Jablow
Nancy Richardson
Stephen Rivkin
David Rosenbloom
Paul Seydor
Terilyn A Shropshire

Makeup Artists and Hairstylists
Linda Flowers

Marketing and Public Relations
Stephen D Bruno
Kevin Goetz
Barry Dale Johnson
Michael Kaplan
Christina Kounelias*
Robert A Levine
Michele Robertson

Music
Charles Bernstein*
Paul Chihara
George S Clinton
John C Debney
Sharon Farber
William Goldstein
Jan A P Kaczmarek
Emilio Kauderer
Carole Bayer Sager

Producers
Khadija Alami
Jason Blum
Lawrence David Foldes
Jennifer Fox
Lynette Howell Taylor
Steven-Charles Jaffe
Robert Lantos
Lori McCreary
Chris Moore
Michael Peyser
Michael S Phillips
Peter Samuelson
Michael Shamberg
Jeffrey Sharp
Richard W Stevenson
Irwin Winkler

Production Design
Marcia Hinds
Geoffrey A Kirkland
John A Kuri
Carolyn A Loucks
John Muto
Rusty Smith
Melissa Stewart
Wynn P Thomas*
Thomas A Walsh

Short Films and Feature Animation
Jon Bloom
Edwin Catmull
Ron Diamond
Chris Donahue
Raul Garcia
Matthew Gross
Tom Sito*
Erik Smitt
Chris Tashima

Sound
Bobbi Banks
Teri E Dorman*
Nicholas Eliopoulos
Scott Gershin
Mark Mangini
F Hudson Miller
Victoria Rose Sampson
Mark P Stoeckinger
Bruce Tanis
Randy Thom

Visual Effects
Robert Blalack
Rob Bredow
Brooke Breton
Richard Edlund*
Jonathan Erland
Jeffrey M Kleiser
Jeffrey A Okun
Helena Packer
Joshua Pines
Theresa Ellis Rygiel
Rick Sayre

Writers
Carl A Gottlieb
Larry Karaszewski*
Gregory Nava
John Ridley
Howard A Rodmam

Shout Studios! Acquires Rights to “Unraveling Athena” Doc Featuring Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario & Other Women’s Tennis Stars

Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario is getting unraveled stateside…

Shout! Studios has acquired North American rights across several platforms to Unraveling Athena: The Champions of Women’s Tennis, the feature documentary directed by Francis Amat that chronicles the lives and drives of the sport’s most iconic stars past and present, including the 48-year-old former tennis star.

Arantxa Sánchez Vicario

Sánchez-Vicario, a former World No. 1,was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2007. She won 14 Grand Slam titles during her career: four in singles, six in women’s doubles, and four in mixed doubles. Sánchez-Vicario also won a bronze medal at the 1992 Barcelona Games and a silver medal at the1996 Atlanta Games.

In addition to Sánchez-Vicario, the inspirational documentary features interviews with the likes of Billie Jean KingMartina NavratilovaChris Evert, Evonne GoolagongPam ShriverMartina Hingis, Monica SelesKim ClijstersCaroline WozniackiAna IvanovicJustine HeninJelena JankovicVictoria AzarenkaBethanie Mattek-Sands,Sania MirzaDinara Safina and Tracy Austin

Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario

It highights their perseverance, trials, and, tribulations and achievements, offering insight into the mind of a pro athlete and what it takes to make a champion.

Shout! Studios is eyeing a multi-platform bow later this year.

Unraveling Athenadelivers a long overdue and immensely entertaining celebration of the women who earned their rightful place in the pantheon of tennis champions,” Shout! Studios VP Acquisitions Jordan Fields said. “What it means to strive, to endure, to move past disappointment and fight another day — these are the lessons of sport but also of life, so this uplifting film is widely relatable.”

Andrés Baiz to Direct the Thriller “Panopticon”

Andrés Baiz has a new project in the works…

The 45-year-old Colombian film director and screenwriter, a director on Netflix’s Narcos and Narcos: Mexico, will helm Scott Free and AGC’s thriller Panopticon, based on the Black Listscript by Emily Jerome.

Andrés Baiz

The film, according to the official synopsis, will follow “rising hedge fund manager Chase who hears about a little known financial gold mine called PCC Correctional, an Arizona based private prison system that racks up huge profits. She decides to go all in to advance her career but it soon becomes clear that it’s a bad bet in every way except return on investment. On a tour of the prison she realizes that the inmates are running the show. Chase starts a dangerous game as she tries to fix things in order to save the jackpot she’s reaping for herself and her firm.”

Production is slated to begin in fall 2020, and active casting is ongoing.

Baiz’s previous film credits include RoaThe Hidden Face and Sin Amparo.

Xolo Mariduena’s “Karate Kid” Sequel Series “Cobra Kai” Looking for a New Home

Xolo Mariduena will be heading to a new home

YouTube’s flagship scripted series Cobra Kai, starring the 18-year-old Cuban, Mexican and Ecuadorian American actor, will be heading to a new streaming platform for its upcoming third season. 

Xolo Maridueno

YouTube is in the process of releasing Season 3 of the popular show to producing studio Sony Pictures Television amid a move away from premium original scripted programming.

Sony Television is shoppingCobra Kaito other outlets, with all major streamers expressing interest, including Netflix and Hulu, who lead the short list of contenders for the Karate Kid sequel series, according to Deadline.com.

The new outlet will have access on a non-exclusive basis to the first two seasons of the show for fans to catch up. That has been part of the negotiation with YouTube, which had ownership in and exclusive global rights to the first two seasons under the original license agreement with Sony Television.

The freshman season of Cobra Kai was a massive breakout hit, topping 55 million YouTube views for Episode 1 and ranking as the sixth-most Google-searched TV show in 2018.

Season 2 picked up following the shocking cliffhanger featuring the return of John Kreese (Martin Kove). When a new rivalry between opposing dojos is born in the aftermath of Cobra Kai’s controversial win at the All Valley Championships, Daniel (Ralph Macchio) realizes his next countermove is to open his own karate training school called Miyagi-Do, in honor of his mentor Mr. Miyagi.

Cobra Kai is written and executive produced by Josh Heald, and Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg. Together, the trio conceived the new Karate Kid storyline that picks up decades after the original film.

Heald, Hurwitz and Schlossberg showrun the series and direct the bulk of the episodes. 

In addition to Macchio and Mariduena, who portrays Miguel Diaz, the series also stars William ZabkaCourtney HenggelerTanner Buchanan and Jacob Bertrand.

Daniel Espinosa to Direct the Jamal Khashoggi Murder Drama “The Execution”

Daniel Espinosa has a new Post production…

The half-Chilean filmmaker has agreed to develop and direct the Good Films Collective’s The Execution.

Daniel Espinosa

The narrative drama focuses on the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi Arabian-born dissident and Washington Post columnist who was killed and dismembered after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul to get a marriage license. 

The film will explore how it happened, why it happened and what happened in the aftermath. 

Petter Skavlan is attached to write the script.

Espinosa’s previous directing credits include Safe House, Life, Child 44 and Easy Money.

His next project to hit the big screen is the upcoming film Morbius with Jared Leto

Khashoggi was killed by a Saudi hit team that was closely connected to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.